Concert Band at Brecon
Code: BRMMWPrint page
Woodwind, brass and percussion players will love the impressive sound of our concert band. We'll play as a full group and in smaller ensembles, tackling a full repertoire of concert band music. Optional guided walks are offered each morning.
- Wind, brass and percussion players come together to play some of the varied works in the concert band repertoire
- Take part in an informal concert at the end of the holiday
- Enjoy optional guided walks each morning to enjoy the autumn sunshine, or enjoy some free time to explore the local area
Great reasons to join us
- Great value: all prices include Full Board en-suite accommodation, plus all activities
- Expert leader: we carefully select friendly and knowledgeable leaders for each holiday
- Accommodation: enjoy high-quality accommodation and excellent food at Nythfa House
- Sociability: we pride ourselves on the social atmosphere of our holidays – make music together, eat together and relax together
Nythfa House is a charming Country House, located on the edge of the market town of Brecon. Spacious public rooms, attractive gardens and indoor swimming pool make it a popular and relaxing place to stay.
Nythfa House has 28 bedrooms. Most are located in the main house, with others in garden annexes.
HF Holidays Nythfa House - Grading coming soon!
Choose your room
• Check-in from 2:30pm
• Comfortable accommodation
• En-suite bathroom with bath or shower
• Tea and coffee-making facilities
•Single rooms are available at no extra charge
• Check-in from 1:30pm
• Enjoy extra space or exceptional views
• Toweling robe Complimentary slippers
• Same facilities as our classic rooms
• Available from an extra £10 per person per night
• Check-in from 1:30pm
• 3 or 4 beds
• Same facilities as our classic rooms
• Full sized twin or double beds for adults and bunk or occasional beds for children
|• Excellent boot and drying rooms
• Large upstairs lounge
• Dining room and bar
• Conservatory which looks out onto the garden
• Free WiFi available in some public rooms
|• Range of board games and books
• Indoor swimming pool in a separate building
• The house is surrounded by extensive gardens
• Putting green and croquet lawn
|All holidays at our Country Houses are full board accommodation including evening meal on arrival to breakfast on the day of your departure. All of our Country Houses have a well-stocked bar serving local beers, wine and spirits.
√ Start your day with our extensive breakfast.
All of our bars are stocked with locally sourced drinks so you can really soak up your surroundings.
- Fire procedure is displayed in each room and explained to guests on arrival. Guests requiring assistance at an evacuation are identified at this time and door hanger cards are issued on request. An under-pillow vibrating pad is available on request
- A fridge is available in the first floor lounge for storing medication
- Good signage for fire escape routes
- One bedroom key issued per room (second key available on request)
- Assistance dogs accompanying visually or hearing impaired guests are welcome; dogs must be kept on a lead or harness at all times
- Information can be provided in large print
- Staff has had disability awareness training
This holiday is for Grade IV players of woodwind (including sax) or brass (all orchestral and concert band) instruments with some sight-reading ability, with or without group playing experience. String bass players and percussionists are also welcome.
Due to limited daylight at this time of year, you'll be enjoying the fresh air and sunshine in the mornings, and making music in the afternoon.
Arrival day: You can check in to your room from 2.30pm onwards. Please join us for afternoon tea at 4pm. All guests are invited – we’ll introduce your leader and welcome you to your holiday. After dinner enjoy your first music session.
9.30am - 12.30pm: Optional guided walk - guests not wishing to walk may enjoy free time or play in small, informal groups
In the afternoon: 3 hour music session with a break for coffee
After dinner: Music session
During the music sessions we'll play a wide variety of serious and light music written or arranged for concert band
Departure day: Depart after a leisurely breakfast
What to bring
Music: Please bring the instrument/s you wish to play. Music stands and all music for the week will be provided. To ensure that we have the right music to cover all abilities, experience and instruments, please complete the pre-holiday questionnaire. The final evening may include an informal concert; if you would like to play something at this, please bring some music for a ‘party piece’ - eg one or two solos/duets/trios etc.
Walking: To enjoy your walking comfortably and safely, it is essential that your footwear, clothing and equipment are suitable for the conditions likely to be encountered. Britain is famous for its changeable weather, so our advice is to come prepared for all eventualities. Please bring a rucksack, a thermos flask for a hot drink, a water bottle (at least 1 litre) and first aid kit – your leader’s first aid kit doesn’t contain any medication or blister kits (such as Compeed).
Discover the Brecon Beacons
During your stay at Nythfa House you may enjoy visiting the following places of interest, either in your free time, or on your journey to and from Brecon:
Brecon is a quaint market town at the foot of the Brecon Beacons; an area of sweeping high moorland, and beautiful green valleys. The town has a good range of facilities including shops, supermarkets, post office, chemists, banks, pubs and cafés. During your stay you may enjoy visiting Brecon Cathedral or take a scenic cruise from Brecon along the Monmouthshire and Brecon canal. www.breconcathedral.org.uk or www.dragonfly-cruises.co.uk
Big Pit Mining Museum
Travel underground at the excellent Big Pit museum in Blaenavon and discover the life of a South Wales coal miner. Blaenavon is around 45 minutes' drive from Brecon. www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/bigpit
The quaint small town of Hay-on-Wye is about 30 minutes' drive from Brecon, and can also be reached by bus every 2 hours. The town is now famed for its annual literary festival, and extensive selection of second-hand book shops.
Hereford is an attractive city, around an hour's drive from Brecon, whose cathedral houses the famous Mappa Mundi, a 12th century map of the world. www.herefordcathedral.org
Dan yr Orgof Caves
An impressive show-cave, one of the largest in Europe, with fine stalactites and stalagmites. The caves are around 30 minutes' drive from Brecon. www.showcaves.co.uk
Located near the village of Crickhowell, about 20 minutes' drive from Brecon, Tretower Court is a fine Medieval fortified manor house. www.cadw.wales.gov.uk
The vibrant Welsh capital of Cardiff is also around 40 miles or 1 hour’s drive from Brecon. A visit could include the St Fagan’s National History Museum, Castell Coch, or the National Museum. www.visitcardiff.com
Tretower Court image © Crown copyright (2016) Welsh Government, Big Pit image ©Big Pit National Coal Museum
Travel to Brecon
Our address is: Nythfa House, Brecon, Powys, LD3 7NN
The most convenient railway station is at Abergavenny. For train times and general rail enquiries visit www.nationalrail.co.uk or call 03457 484950 (from outside the UK call +44 20 7278 5240).
The 20 mile journey from Abergavenny railway station takes approximately 45 minutes. Pre-booked taxis cost approx £36 per taxi. Details of our current recommended taxi company and rates will be sent to you with your booking. The return taxi journey can be arranged on your behalf by the Nythfa House Manager.
The X43 bus operates from Abergavenny station to Brecon. Alight at the bus interchange in Brecon. Facing the road, head left along Heol Gouesnou to the traffic lights. Turn right heading uphill along Cerrigcochion Road for around 70 yards, and then turn left into Belle Vue Gardens. Head along the road and turn right at the T-junction (still Belle Vue Gardens). Head up the road to another T-junction and turn left into Cerrigcochion Lane. Walk for about 15 yards and you will see the Nythfa House sign on your right. For bus times see www.traveline.info
Most guests approach Brecon via the A40 from Abergavenny or the A470 from the northwest. These two roads converge at a roundabout on the Brecon bypass. At the roundabout follow the B4601 into Brecon. Pass the army barracks on your right, then turn right at the mini-roundabout (B4601). Continue ahead at the second mini-roundabout. Turn right at the traffic lights (B4602), then take the first left into Bell View Gardens. Take the next road on the right, then at the next T junction turn left. The drive to Nythfa House is ahead on the right.
Travelling from overseas
For most guests, travelling to London Heathrow airport is the most convenient option.
From Heathrow first take the train to London Paddington station. From here there are trains to Abergavenny (1 change at Newport) - allow 3 to 3½ hours. See www.nationalrail.co.uk for train times.
From Abergavenny you can travel on to Brecon by bus or taxi (see above).
Judith Wallace - Holiday leader
Judith has been leading Singing, Music Making and Opera & Festival holidays for HF Holidays since 1998. Prior to this she had a long career in primary and further education where she specialised in music and drama. She conducts two orchestras, an operatic society, a clarinet choir and a concert band- all of which she enjoys immensely. When not conducting Judith plays clarinet in orchestras, bands and chamber groups and she also enjoys going to concerts, plays and operas. She enjoys passing on her enjoyment to others and encouraging all guests to have a worthwhile musical experience.
Dates & Prices
|Date||Description||Nights||Brochure price||Buy today for||Book|
|30 Oct 2017||BRMMW - Concert Band - Brecon||4||£439.00||£399.00||Book Now|
Prices are per person
- Premium single room: £15 per night
- Premium twin/double room: £10 per person per night
- Non-member associate fee: £10 per person