Dance with Karen Hardy in the Shropshire Hills
Karen won a host of national and international titles during her illustrious professional dance career. She won over the nation when she starred in the BBC’s ‘Strictly Come Dancing’ and lifted the glitterball trophy with Mark Ramprakash. She then delighted us all when she taught living room audiences to dance in ‘It Takes Two’ from her ‘Choreography Corner’. Enjoy a weekend of dance with HF Holidays’ instructors and also a small group masterclass led by Karen. This break is for all as tuition sessions will be grouped by ability. This will be a fun weekend in one of our country houses practicing on a proper dance floor. Karen is looking forward to meeting you!
- Join a ballroom dance class led by Strictly legend Karen Hardy
- Enjoy a weekend of ballroom dance hosted by HF Holidays dance professionals
- No partner necessary
- All abilities catered for from beginners to experienced dancers
- Dress up for dinner and have a chance to dine at Karen's table
- High-quality Full Board en-suite accommodation and excellent food in our country house
- Tuition from our knowledgeable HF Holidays Leaders, to ensure you get the most from your holiday
- Solo travellers are welcome - dancers are encouraged to dance with others, so if you're on your own, you won't be left out
You're welcome to check-in to your room from 2:30 p.m. onwards (upgraded rooms from 1 p.m.) Please join us for afternoon tea.
Enjoy a dance class led by your HF Holidays Professionals. You'll be split into an ability based group and will enjoy a class of at least 1hr during the day which will introduce you to dance or help perfect your steps.
At 4pm Karen Hardy will give a talk about her life as a professional dancer and time on Strictly Come Dancing - it's sure to be a fascinating insight into the showbiz world.
You'll have time to get your sparkle on and dress for for dinner. Your name will be entered into a draw for places to sit at Karen's table for dinner - will you be lucky?!
After dinner there will be time for social dancing and for you to put into practice the day's dance moves.
The big day has arrived! Today you'll join a 1 hour dance class led by Karen Hardy. Classes will be graded by ability so don't worry if you are an absolute beginner, Karen will guide you through the steps. For the more experienced dancers, Karen will extend your knowledge and skills. Classes will be a maximum of 20 people so you'll get the chance to be taught in a small intimate group and learn some of those sizzling Strictly moves! Karen's passion for teaching and her skills & experience will have you scoring a "severrrrrn" or maybe even a perfect ten. This will be an hour to remember!
After your dancing exertions and with plenty of time to dress for dinner you'll be ready to join Karen for a pre-dinner drinks reception and there'll be another chance to dine at Karen's table this evening. You'll enjoy our excellent hospitality with our usual 3 course meal then coffee.
After dinner there'll be social dancing or you can relax in the bar with tales of your dancing adventures.
Enjoy a leisurely breakfast before making your way home.
Hidden in plain sight, there’s a well-kept countryside secret in the heart of England that might just surprise you with its wonderful upland walking, trails, history and heritage. Discover the heart of Shropshire from striking Longmynd House, stood on a wooded hillside above Church Stretton, on the border of England and Wales. Wake early to watch the sunrise from your balcony; take a dip in the heated outdoor pool and gear up for a great day in the hills on walks full of rich variety. Stride out on the Long Mynd itself, a dramatic, isolated whaleback hill with an expanse of heather wilderness and deeply cut valleys, explore the Stiperstones and climb to the Iron Age fort on top of Caer Caradoc, or surround yourself with historic castles, market towns and trails of all kinds.
At the house
- Excellent boot and drying rooms
- Extensive public rooms
- Large dining room with outstanding views of Stretton Valley
- Lounge bar with outstanding views of Stretton Valley
- Central lounge
- Three additional rooms, can be used for other purposes
- Free WiFi is available in some public rooms and bedrooms
- Range of board games and books
- Large heated swimming pool (open May to September)
- Woodland walks on the slopes beneath the hotel
- Sculpture trail
All holidays at our Country Houses are full board accommodation including evening meal on arrival to breakfast on the day of your departure. All of our Country Houses have a well-stocked bar serving local beers, wine and spirits.
- Start your day with our extensive breakfast.
- Take your fill from our famous self-service picnic lunches
- A relaxed social dinner is a highlight of any stay at our Country Houses
Just relax and take it easy, or if you'd like to continue to chat with our guides and fellow guests then why not grab a drink or take part in one of our optional evening activities.
All of our bars are stocked with locally sourced drinks so you can really soak up your surroundings.
- Assistance dogs accompanying visually or hearing impaired guests are welcome; dogs must be kept on a lead or harness at all times.
- Fire evacuation notices are displayed in the bedrooms and throughout the hotel. Each room has its own smoke sensor and fire alarm. In the event of a fire a very loud continuous alarm sounds and emergency lighting comes on. We have portable Deaf guard fire alarm system for those who are hard of hearing. This consists of a vibrating pad to go under the pillow and a bright strobe light. The Deaf guard is triggered when main alarm is activated.
- In the case of evacuation there are fire exits in every function room, bar and restaurant as well as the main front entrance. On the first, second and third floors there are fire exits at either end of the corridors which open to an emergency fire escape stairwell.
- Please advise reception on check in if you think you would require assistance in the event of an emergency. Door hangers are available in the rooms which can be used to indicate a need for assistance. Fire extinguishers are found throughout the building, as are fire call points. If you discover a fire please call 9-999 from your room phone, raise the alarm and alert a member of our team.
Tea & coffee-making facilities, TV, Hairdryer, Toiletries, Wi-Fi
Stay in the smartly presented rooms in the main house or in one of 8 brick-built lodges in the grounds. With 54 rooms, Longmynd House has plenty of space and there’s a range of Good and Better Rooms to choose from. Chose Room 16 for the four poster bed and separate sitting area, with green leafy views or Room 44 with its compact balcony and outdoor eating area overlooking the heather-clad rise on the far side of the valley. The lodges away from the house offer a little more privacy and their own terrace looking out over the gardens.
All ‘Good’ rooms are ensuite and furnished to a high standard. There are also several ‘Better’ Rooms that are either larger or have a desirable view, a more luxurious mattress, larger television, enhanced toiletries and a fluffy bathrobe & slippers – upgrade your stay for just an extra £15-20 per person per night. You can choose a specific room for an extra £30 per room, subject to availability. Upgrade supplements still apply.
Free Wi-Fi, boot room and drying room, extensive garden, lounge, bar, ballroom, library and board games to borrow
After a day exploring the Shropshire Hills, return to the house. Stroll through the extensive grounds and discover the woodland sculpture trail that threads through the trees, looking out for ‘deer’ and ‘bears’. Dip into the heated outdoor pool to swim below the trees. Head to the long lounge with its wall of glass giving on to the view outside, or for a more intimate space, sit at the smart bar with its crouching lions and attractive jug lamps or surrender to the leather sofas around the fireplace and enjoy a local pint of Shropshire Lad or Lass with a lively conversation among your fellow guests.
Food & Drink
As at all our country houses, holidays are full board, from afternoon tea served as a welcome treat through that evening’s meal to a hearty breakfast on the day of departure. Lunch is a chance to stock up on our famous picnic snacks. Food at Longmynd House is varied and tasty and has a strong emphasis on ingredients from the area and seasonal produce. Once a week the bright dining room with its wrap around windows hosts a Local Food Night, when, over a sociable evening, you might try a five-course feast of regional flavours.
For accessibility and assistance information, please contact our expert team on 020 3974 8865
What to Bring
- Both men and women should bring shoes with a smooth sole
- Ladies should wear shoes with a low (or no) heel and ankle strap
- Strapless sandals, strapless shoes and trainers are not suitable
- Spray tans optional!
Karen won a host of national and international titles during her illustrious professional dance career. She won over the nation when she starred in the BBC’s ‘Strictly Come Dancing’ and lifted the glitterball trophy with Mark Ramprakash. Classes will also be lead by HF Holiday instructors.
Pamela & Peter Martin
They frequently run dance classes on cruise ships, for beginners to intermediate / advanced Ballroom and Latin dancers. They also enjoy hosting Ballroom, Latin and Sequence dance evenings, providing recorded sounds or working with musicians and dancing with solo travellers. They also hold Fellowship qualifications in Ballroom, Latin, Rock n Roll and Freestyle dance and Licentiate in line dancing.
Pamela has worked in South Africa, producing and directing the Strictly Come Dancing Program for South African viewers - and whist living in South Africa she was involved with the choreography of the 2010 World Cup in Johannesburg with the Black Eyed Peas.
Peter is a professional singer/musician and experienced entertainer, whom Pamela trained to a very high standard of social dancing and teaching. They both enjoy what they do and take great pleasure in teaching, socialising and dancing with guests.
3 nights from £399pp
New for 2020
...or call 020 3974 8865