Pen & Ink Drawing - Beginners in the Southern Yorkshire Dales
The simplicity and starkness of drawings created just using one colour provide a wonderful challenge for artists. Using just pen and ink you can access an amazing variety of styles and techniques and create eye-catching works. Your expert leader will guide you step-by-step in order to build your skills and confidence, focusing on subjects like composition and perspective. You’ll discover which type of pen you need to get the desired effect and how holding the pen in different ways can produce different results. Drawing inspiration from subjects both within and outside the house you can quickly put into practise everything you’ve learned and see how your fellow artists tackle each task.
- Guidance from expert artists
- Full days to practise in inspirational surroundings
- Fun and supportive environment
- Small groups of 15 people or under
- High quality Full Board en-suite accommodation and excellent food in our Country House
- Tuition from our knowledgeable HF Holidays’ leader, to ensure you get the most from your holiday
- Loan of wooden A3 art boards
You're welcome to check-in to your room from 2:30 p.m. onwards (upgraded rooms from 1 p.m.) Please join us for afternoon tea.
There will be full days practising your chosen discipline with breaks throughout the day for a cup of tea (or two!) and lunch. Most tuition and practice will take place inside the house, but if the sun is out, we may head into the grounds to take advantage of some fresh air.
In the evenings, you can relax in the house lounges and bar, socialise with other guests or take part in a wide range of house activities.
Enjoy a leisurely breakfast before making your way home.
Situated close to Malham in South Yorkshire’s portion of the famous Dales, Newfield Hall offers country-pile atmosphere amid beautiful rural surroundings. A grand country house, this stately, storied property retains many of its original nineteenth century features, from the grand entrance to the sweeping staircase inside. The Hall has 48 bedrooms, as well as two cosy lounges and an elegant bar, providing guests with a laid-back and unstuffy retreat with a generous sprinkling of style. The Dales and countryside on the doorstep are a rambler’s paradise, with easy access to Malham Cove and its deeply indented limestone pavement, Gordale Scar and Pen y Ghent as well as the pretty villages of Grassington and Kettlewell.
At the house
- Excellent boot and drying rooms
- Two lounges
- Dining room
- Multi-purpose activity room
- Range of board games and books
- Free WiFi is available in some public rooms
- Heated indoor swimming pool
- Extensive gardens with views of the Yorkshire Dales
- Outside there is a walled garden and putting green
All holidays at our Country Houses are full board accommodation including evening meal on arrival to breakfast on the day of your departure. All of our Country Houses have a well-stocked bar serving local beers, wine and spirits.
- Start your day with our extensive breakfast.
- Take your fill from our famous self-service picnic lunches
- A relaxed social dinner is a highlight of any stay at our Country Houses
Just relax and take it easy, or if you'd like to continue to chat with our guides and fellow guests then why not grab a drink or take part in one of our optional evening activities.
All of our bars are stocked with locally sourced drinks so you can really soak up your surroundings.
- Fire procedure is displayed in each room and explained to guests on arrival. Guests requiring assistance at an evacuation are identified at this time and door hanger cards are issued
- Mobile phone reception is generally good from the main building
- Assistance dogs accompanying visually or hearing impaired guests are welcome; dogs must be kept on a lead or harness at all times
- Information can be provided in large print
- Staff have received disability awareness training
- Special diets can be catered for. Specialist food can be obtained with prior notice
- Hired equipment can be arranged for your stay with prior notice
- Fridge for medication can be supplied
Tea & coffee-making facilities, TV, Hairdryer, Toiletries, Wi-Fi
Stay in one of the main building’s beautifully presented rooms or in the tastefully converted Courtyard rooms, which have been reimagined as pretty bedrooms, where pops of mustard contrast with the blue and teal furnishings. With 48 bright and well-appointed rooms, Newfield Hall is one of our largest properties and there’s a range of Good, Better and Best rooms to choose from: we love rooms 3 and 6, both of which are large corner rooms containing original features, with large bay windows overlooking the gardens and beyond the pristine farmland, hills, and yes, dales, of this picturesque pocket of Yorkshire: make use of the telescope trained through the window of Room 6 to scour the countryside for trails to explore.
All ‘Good’ rooms are ensuite and furnished to a high standard. There are also several ‘Better’ and ‘Best’ Rooms that are either larger or have a desirable view, a more luxurious mattress, larger television, enhanced toiletries and a fluffy bathrobe & slippers – upgrade your stay for just an extra £15-20 per person per night. You can choose a specific room for an extra £30 per room, subject to availability. Upgrade supplements still apply.
Free Wi-Fi, boot room and drying room, walled garden, putting green, heated indoor swimming pool, multi-purpose activity room, ballroom, library and board games to borrow
After a day exploring, return to the house and its specially tailored walkers’ facilities. Once settled, stroll the large gardens and gaze out over the Yorkshire Dales, or try your hand on the putting green. Slip in to the heated indoor swimming pool to soak while still being able to look out over the gardens. Make use of the activity room or simply retreat to one of the lounges: grab a book and curl up in the stylish Ingleborough Lounge or pull up a chair and challenge someone to cards and board games in the smart Pen-y-Ghent Lounge. Stop in the Heritage Room for inspiration at our helpful Discovery Point and look out for our founder T A Leonard’s boots, long since retired and sat on the mantlepiece. Pop in to the stylish bar before dinner for a pint of excellent local ale or a favourite gin, pausing to admire the maps set into the bar itself, and retire there later to strike up conversation with other guests and swap stories of your adventures in the Dales.
Food & Drink
As at all our country houses, holidays are full board, from afternoon tea served as a welcome treat through that evening’s meal to a hearty breakfast on the day of departure. Lunch is a chance to stock up on our famous picnic snacks. Food at Newfield Hall is varied and eclectic but has a strong emphasis on ingredients from the area and seasonal produce. Once a week the dining room hosts a Local Food Night, when, over a sociable evening, you might tuck in to locally sourced river trout, served with wild garlic oil and sautéed samphire, enjoy Yorkshire lamb three ways or try the Yorkshire tea and smoked Wensleydale souffle with wild mushrooms. Cap it all with a trio of Yorkshire parkin, Yorkshire pudding and Yorvdale dairy ice cream for a feast of regional flavours.
For accessibility and assistance information, please contact our expert team on 020 3974 8865
What to Bring
• An A5 or an A4 fine surface sketchpad
• A small (A5 or A4) Bristol board or Ivorex very smooth surface drawing pad or hot-pressed water colour paper pad, sheet or block no larger than A4
• An HB and B grade pencil for sketching,
• An eraser
• Pencil sharpener
• A small range of permanent ink drawing pens (0.05; 0.1; 0.3 and/or 0.5 and a 0.8 will suffice, these can be bought in sets)
Linda has painted all her life and is a professional artist well known for her lively enjoyable and encouraging painting holidays and workshops. Being a painting demonstrator for a leading art materials company she has a good knowledge of the ‘right tools for the Job’ and excellent understanding of colour mixing. Linda does not show you how to paint like her. Instead she encourages you to paint how you wish to paint by providing painting demonstrations and techniques to suit your needs.
Linda is an excellent teacher. Her instruction was clear, she quickly recognised our individual needs, she was patient, well prepared, with a variety of the activities for us, all the time giving inspiration and confidence. I thoroughly enjoyed the course and feel I have learned a lot.
4 nights from 0pp
...or call 020 3974 8865