Rambles with a Sketchbook in the Western Yorkshire Dales
Create your own artistic impressions as we walk through some of the Yorkshire Dales' most inspirational landscapes. We’ll walk up to 4 miles (6½ km) each day, sketching scenes along our journey. Your sketches may be the finished result or used as a source for further painting or drawing.
- Gentle rambles of up to 4 miles with plenty of stops for sketching
- A variety of inspirational landscapes from rugged dales to quaint market towns
- Our professional artist leader will guide and encourage
- Enjoy the sociable atmosphere of sketching in a group
- High quality Full Board en-suite accommodation and excellent food in our Country House
- Tuition from our knowledgeable HF Holidays’ leader, to ensure you get the most from your holiday
- Loan of wooden A3 art boards
- All transport to and from locations on your holiday
You can check in to your room from 2.30pm onwards (premium rooms from 1pm). Please join us for afternoon tea. All guests are invited – we’ll introduce your leader and welcome you to your holiday.
Sketching hints and drawing exercises start our day before we go for an exploratory ramble around this charming town and on to Farfield Mill, a treasure house of contemporary craft and leading venue for textile arts.
A trip into countryside with a view! We are heading for Ravenstonedale on the rounded flanks of the Howgills, the hills known as the sleeping elephants. This is wild boar country, wild and beautiful with wide skies to tackle!
A day out to Hawes, famous for its Tuesday market and delightful countryside. We shall head for Hardraw Force, said to be the highest single drop for a waterfall in this country. Plenty of action to capture so fast work needed, as well as varied landscapes of open vistas and wooded scenes.
Today we head out to Kirkby Lonsdale to admire the Devils Bridge. Our ramble takes us to Ruskin’s View, once declared to be the finest vista in England. We have a challenge as this was painted by Turner!
A gentle ramble around Sedbergh rounds off our lovely holiday together. If we wish we can create an informal exhibition of what we've achieved and share this with everyone at the Country House this evening.
Depart after a leisurely breakfast
Situated in Sedbergh, in West Yorkshire’s portion of the famous Dales, at the foot of the Howgill Fells, Thorns Hall offers cosy, country-pile atmosphere amid beautiful rural surroundings. Dating from 1535, the small manor house is home to 25 bedrooms as well as wood-panelled public rooms, open fireplaces and a cobbled courtyard that ooze historic charm. From every aspect the hills can be seen rising around the house and a short hop takes you from the house to the fells and upland scenery. Marvel at the 24 arch Ribblehead Viaduct, climb the distinctive summit of Ingleborough, one of the Three Peaks, explore classic limestone scenery and stop in at one of Appleby’s historic pubs for a well-earned toast.
Tea & coffee-making facilities, TV, Hairdryer, Toiletries, Wi-Fi
Stay in one of the Hall’s smartly presented rooms in the main house or cottages across the courtyard. With 25 rooms, Thorns Hall has plenty of space and there’s a range of Good, Better and Best Rooms to choose from. Our pick is Room 25, a very spacious escape on the ground floor with a great brick fireplace, comfy seats to sit in and big bed as well as gorgeous views of the gardens. Look out too for large and airy Room 4 and the more intimate Room 13 with its exposed wood ceiling and courtyard view.
All ‘Good’ rooms are ensuite and furnished to a high standard. There are also several ‘Better’ and ‘Best’ Rooms that are either larger or have a desirable view, a more luxurious mattress, larger television, enhanced toiletries and a fluffy bathrobe & slippers – upgrade your stay for just an extra £15-20 per person per night. You can choose a specific room for an extra £30 per room, subject to availability. Upgrade supplements still apply.
Free Wi-Fi, boot room and drying room, formal garden, large reception hall, two lounges, library and board games to borrow
After a day exploring the Dales, come back to the house and its specially tailored walkers’ facilities. At the front of the house there’s a pretty, formal garden that makes a pleasant spot to relax in. Take up residence in the lounge below the exposed wood beams or seek refuge in the small, dark wood-panelled bar with its over-sized fireplace and log burner for an atmospheric corner to kick back in and catch up with fellow guests over a local ale or two.
Food & Drink
As at all our country houses, holidays are full board, from afternoon tea served as a welcome treat through that evening’s meal to a hearty breakfast on the day of departure. Lunch is a chance to stock up on our famous picnic snacks. Food at Thorns Hall is varied and tasty and has a strong emphasis on ingredients from the area and seasonal produce. Once a week the dining room in the converted barn hosts a Local Food Night, when, over a sociable evening, you might try a five-course feast of regional flavours, from twice baked Wensleydale Cheese Souffle to Lancashire black pudding and Cumbrian rump of lamb.
For accessibility and assistance information, please contact our expert team on 020 3974 8865
What to Bring
- Sketchbooks – good cartridge paper (e.g.150gm), size of your choice. For example, A4 (or square versions), spiral bound back. You could also bring a panorama shaped sketchbook.
- 2B & 4B pencils and a watersoluble graphite pencil, sharpener & eraser
- bulldog clips or large elastic bands
- a sketching pen
- Small watercolour set & brushes
- Refillable brushpens for water
- Tiny spray bottle
- Small water bottle
- A rucksack to carry the materials
- A foam seat pad or lightweight stool that you can easily carry
- Protection against sun, weather & insects!
- a set of Caran D’Ache Neocolour water-soluble pastels, or a set of water-soluble crayons (e.g.Derwent Inktense)
- Watercolour markers, water soluble coloured pencils.
- Any other lightweight materials you like to use e.g. pastels
- A camera
Lightweight wooden A3 painting boards are available for guest loan at the Country House
6 nights from 0pp
...or call 020 3974 8865