Enjoy a break in Shropshire with the walking experts; we have all the ingredients for your perfect Self-Guided Walking Holiday. Our 4-star country house, nestling on the slopes of the Long Mynd, is geared to the needs of walkers and outdoor enthusiasts. Enjoy hearty local food, detailed route notes, and an inspirational location from which to explore this beautiful county.
- Head out on any of our walks to discover the varied beauty of the Shropshire Hills on foot
- Admire panoramic sloping countryside, river views and stunning villages where ever you walk
- Use our Discovery Point, stocked with maps and walks directions for exploring the local area
- Enjoy magnificent scenery
- Visit charming Shropshire towns and villages
- Look out for wildlife, find secret corners and learn about the rich history in this region
- A relaxed pace of discovery in a sociable house
- Discover what makes the Shropshire so special from the old, picturesque towns to the quiet, peaceful hilltops
- Evenings in our country house where you share a drink and re-live the day’s adventures
You're welcome to check-in to your room from 2:30 p.m. onwards (upgraded rooms from 1 p.m.) Please join us for afternoon tea.
Our easiest routes, allowing plenty of time to savour the magnificent Shropshire landscapes. All our walk notes suggest the best places to stop, great pubs, and tea rooms.
- Pole Bank - 1½ miles
- Exploring the Carding Mill Valley - 3 miles
- The Stiperstones - 3 miles
- The Gaerstones - 4 miles
- Welshpool & Powis Castle - 4 miles
- Bishop's Castle - 4 miles
- Ironbridge Gorge - 4 miles
Some longer walks which start to venture onto the Shropshire Hills. Experience the beauty of this rural county as you walk through stunning scenery.
- Around Ragleth - 5 miles
- Stiperstones Circuit - 5 miles
- Slopes of Caer Caradoc - 6 miles
- Long Mynd & Carding Mill Valley - 6 miles
- Long Mynd & Ashes Hollow - 7 miles
For those who enjoy striding out. These walks include some of the hills within easy reach of Church Stretton.
- Ragleth & Hope Bowdler Hill - 8 miles
- Long Mynd & Minton Hill - 8 miles
- Caer Caradoc - 9 miles
- Bishop's Moat - 9 miles
- Caer Caradoc & the Lawley - 11 miles
- Grand Long Mynd Circuit - 13 miles
Enjoy a leisurely breakfast before making your way home.
Hidden in plain sight, there’s a well-kept countryside secret in the heart of England that might just surprise you with its wonderful upland walking, trails, history and heritage. Discover the heart of Shropshire from striking Longmynd House, stood on a wooded hillside above Church Stretton, on the border of England and Wales. Wake early to watch the sunrise from your balcony; take a dip in the heated outdoor pool and gear up for a great day in the hills on walks full of rich variety. Stride out on the Long Mynd itself, a dramatic, isolated whaleback hill with an expanse of heather wilderness and deeply cut valleys, explore the Stiperstones and climb to the Iron Age fort on top of Caer Caradoc, or surround yourself with historic castles, market towns and trails of all kinds.
At the house
- Excellent boot and drying rooms
- Extensive public rooms
- Large dining room with outstanding views of Stretton Valley
- Lounge bar with outstanding views of Stretton Valley
- Central lounge
- Three additional rooms, can be used for other purposes
- Free WiFi is available in some public rooms and bedrooms
- Range of board games and books
- Large heated swimming pool (open May to September)
- Woodland walks on the slopes beneath the hotel
- Sculpture trail
All holidays at our Country Houses are full board accommodation including evening meal on arrival to breakfast on the day of your departure. All of our Country Houses have a well-stocked bar serving local beers, wine and spirits.
- Start your day with our extensive breakfast.
- Take your fill from our famous self-service picnic lunches
- A relaxed social dinner is a highlight of any stay at our Country Houses
Just relax and take it easy, or if you'd like to continue to chat with our guides and fellow guests then why not grab a drink or take part in one of our optional evening activities.
All of our bars are stocked with locally sourced drinks so you can really soak up your surroundings.
- Assistance dogs accompanying visually or hearing impaired guests are welcome; dogs must be kept on a lead or harness at all times.
- Fire evacuation notices are displayed in the bedrooms and throughout the hotel. Each room has its own smoke sensor and fire alarm. In the event of a fire a very loud continuous alarm sounds and emergency lighting comes on. We have portable Deaf guard fire alarm system for those who are hard of hearing. This consists of a vibrating pad to go under the pillow and a bright strobe light. The Deaf guard is triggered when main alarm is activated.
- In the case of evacuation there are fire exits in every function room, bar and restaurant as well as the main front entrance. On the first, second and third floors there are fire exits at either end of the corridors which open to an emergency fire escape stairwell.
- Please advise reception on check in if you think you would require assistance in the event of an emergency. Door hangers are available in the rooms which can be used to indicate a need for assistance. Fire extinguishers are found throughout the building, as are fire call points. If you discover a fire please call 9-999 from your room phone, raise the alarm and alert a member of our team.
Tea & coffee-making facilities, TV, Hairdryer, Toiletries, Wi-Fi
Stay in the smartly presented rooms in the main house or in one of 8 brick-built lodges in the grounds. With 54 rooms, Longmynd House has plenty of space and there’s a range of Good and Better Rooms to choose from. Chose Room 16 for the four poster bed and separate sitting area, with green leafy views or Room 44 with its compact balcony and outdoor eating area overlooking the heather-clad rise on the far side of the valley. The lodges away from the house offer a little more privacy and their own terrace looking out over the gardens.
All ‘Good’ rooms are ensuite and furnished to a high standard. There are also several ‘Better’ Rooms that are either larger or have a desirable view, a more luxurious mattress, larger television, enhanced toiletries and a fluffy bathrobe & slippers – upgrade your stay for just an extra £15-20 per person per night. You can choose a specific room for an extra £30 per room, subject to availability. Upgrade supplements still apply.
Free Wi-Fi, boot room and drying room, extensive garden, lounge, bar, ballroom, library and board games to borrow
After a day exploring the Shropshire Hills, return to the house. Stroll through the extensive grounds and discover the woodland sculpture trail that threads through the trees, looking out for ‘deer’ and ‘bears’. Dip into the heated outdoor pool to swim below the trees. Head to the long lounge with its wall of glass giving on to the view outside, or for a more intimate space, sit at the smart bar with its crouching lions and attractive jug lamps or surrender to the leather sofas around the fireplace and enjoy a local pint of Shropshire Lad or Lass with a lively conversation among your fellow guests.
Food & Drink
As at all our country houses, holidays are full board, from afternoon tea served as a welcome treat through that evening’s meal to a hearty breakfast on the day of departure. Lunch is a chance to stock up on our famous picnic snacks. Food at Longmynd House is varied and tasty and has a strong emphasis on ingredients from the area and seasonal produce. Once a week the bright dining room with its wrap around windows hosts a Local Food Night, when, over a sociable evening, you might try a five-course feast of regional flavours.
For accessibility and assistance information, please contact our expert team on 020 3974 8865
All holidays are subject to availability. Prices are subject to change.
Prices based on two people sharing. Supplements may apply.
Non-member fee: £10 per person.
|Date (Start - End)||Nights||Itinerary||Price||Status||Trip Notes||Book|
28 Feb - 04 Mar
|5||Self-Guided||£460 £360||Unavailable to Book Unavailable||Trip Notes|
5 nights from £460pp £360pp
...or call 020 3974 8865