Self-guided Walking at Selworthy
Code: SLPOAPrint page
Hills & moorland
Difficulty is measured on many factors such as distance, ascent/descent, terrain, weather and more. There's no magic formula, but from our experience we use yellow for easy, orange for medium and red for hard. Challenger holidays require a high level of fitness and stamina.
Enjoy a Self-guided Walking holiday on Exmoor with the walking experts; we have all the ingredients for your perfect self-guided escape. Our beautiful Country House, part of an extensive National Trust estate, is geared to the needs of walkers and outdoor enthusiasts. Enjoy hearty local food, detailed route notes, and an inspirational location from which to explore Exmoor and the Somerset coast.
As a historic National Trust property, Holnicote House is full of charm and character. Located on the extensive Holnicote Estate, at the foot of Exmoor, it is well suited to a relaxing holiday.
Holnicote House has 32 newly refurbished bedrooms. Some are located in the main house, with others in the thatched cottages, called Butlers and Guns, in the grounds.
Our classic bedrooms offer comfortable accommodation and an en-suite bathroom with bath or shower. They also have TV, hairdryer, and tea and coffee making facilities. Single rooms are available at no extra charge.
You can enjoy extra space or exceptional views plus additional facilities including a towelling robe and complimentary slippers when you upgrade to a premium bedroom. Premium rooms are available at just £10 extra per person per night.
If you are travelling with your family, we have a selection of 3 and 4-bedded family bedrooms. These have all the facilities of our classic rooms plus full sized twin or double beds for adults and bunk beds or occasional beds for children.
All our Country Houses are tailored to the needs of walkers and outdoor enthusiasts and have excellent boot and drying rooms.
There are two comfortable lounges, dining room and an attractive bar. The ballroom is a flexible space which can be used for dancing or for a variety of leisure activity holidays. Free WiFi is available in some public rooms. There is also a range of board games and books.
The heated outdoor swimming pool (open May to September) is always popular with our guests. There's also a croquet lawn.
The gardens are particularly extensive and form part of the wider Holnicote Estate.
All holidays at our Country Houses are Full Board with all meals included, from dinner on arrival to breakfast on the day of your departure.
Start your day with our extensive breakfast. Choose from a wide selection on the cold buffet and/or a full cooked breakfast. Maybe enjoy a lighter option of fruit and yoghurt followed by scrambled egg, go for porridge followed by a full English breakfast, or select something in between.
Choose from our famous self-select picnic lunches - everything you need to keep you going on a day outdoors. Your own choice of sandwiches is prepared to order, and you can add crisps and snacks, fruit, nuts, chocolate bars, sweets and biscuits as you wish.
Our house-based Leisure Activities include an in-house lunch (generally soup, sandwiches etc).
The relaxed dinner is a highlight of any stay at our Country Houses. With tables seating up to 10 and no seating plan, it offers a great opportunity to get to know your fellow guests. There is always a choice of dishes for every course, featuring good British cooking and often local specialities. A vegetarian option is always available.
All our Country Houses have a well-stocked bar serving local beers, wine and spirits.
Guided Walking: enjoy a glass of wine or local beer in the bar before a talk about the next day's walks. After dinner there will be an activity or entertainment which you will be welcome to join. These vary from week to week but could include a talk on local wildlife from a local speaker or a team quiz. Alternatively if you prefer, feel free to just relax in our lounge or bar.
Leisure Activities: many of our Leisure Activities holidays continue into the evening with programmed sessions. Other holidays will have the evenings free, and you will be welcome to join in other social activities that may be happening in the house.
Family holidays: our activity leaders are on hand to organise children’s activities and games for younger children before dinner. These could include rounders, outdoor games, or crafts. After dinner there are further activities for the whole family.
Self-Guided Walking: there may be evening social activities happening in the house during your holiday, and you will be most welcome to join in. However, not all self-guided holidays will have evening activities available – if these are important to you, please check before booking.
Arrival & car parking facilities
- On arrival there is a level driveway with two speed bumps with ample parking on both sides of the drive
- The surface of the driveway is gravel
- It is possible to load and unload cars directly at the front door
- There is 1 dedicated disabled parking bays
- Assistance can be provided with luggage
Main entrance & reception
- The main entrance has 1 step (9cm high) and is 123cm wide. There is a ramp available on request for the side entrance
- The front door is locked during the night, but access is available via the boot room (with a digital door code)
- If accessing from the boot room, there are 2 steps up to the ground floor. The steps are 20cm and 34cm high and both are 133cm wide. Wooden handrail on both sides of the steps
- After entering the house, all the facilities are available without encountering any further steps, with the exception of the boot room (details above) or the ballroom, which is accessed via 3 steps. These steps are each 15cm high, 36cm deep and 125cm wide. Wooden handrail on both sides of the steps
- There are several floor coverings on the ground floor, mainly carpet, but also some nonslip safety flooring and original quarry tiles by the tradesman's entrance (the side entrance). The ballroom has wooden block flooring
Public areas - hall, stairs, landing, corridors etc
- All internal doors are 66cm wide (except where separate measurements have been given)
- The minimum width of the corridor is 126cm
- The floor surface on the stairs and upstairs corridors is short pile carpet. Ground floor corridor is non-slip flooring
Public areas - lounges
- The ground floor has 2 lounges, a dining room, a bar and a ballroom and a boot room
- The larger lounge (4.6m x 12m) is carpeted with plenty of seating (bucket chairs are 45cm high, settees 43cm high and the tables are 68cm in diameter, 72cm high). Door width 92cm
- Smaller lounge (8m x 7.5m). Bucket chairs are 47cm high, settees 37cm high and number of tables 39-48cm high. Door width 1m
- The ballroom (8m x 4.9m) is and has wood block flooring
- All furniture is easily movable
- There are 2 unisex toilets on the ground floor opposite the bar
- Minimum door width 80cm. Toilet heights are 40cm and 42cm
- Approximate room sizes are 1.22m x 1.37m for the first toilet and 1.22m x 2.57m for the second one
Dining room & bar
- The carpeted dining room (6m x 10m including Roman end) is situated on the ground floor with level access. Door width 94cm
- 6 round tables, each seating maximum of 10 guests
- Tables have an under space of 73cm high by 150cm wide. Each table has 4 legs 20cm away from the round edge
- The chairs do not have arms. The seats are 46cm high
- Waitress service
- Special diets catered for, but should be advised pre or on arrival
- The carpeted bar area is 3.6m x 4.9m. Door width 66cm. Built-in benches (47cm high) around the room seat 13 people. Various stools (51cm-75 cm high) and 5 circular tables (72cm high)
There are no dedicated disabled rooms, the room best suited for anyone with restricted mobility is room 22.
- The rest of the rooms are a mixture of single, twin and double rooms, located either in the main house, Guns Cottage, Butlers Cottage or Chalets. In the main house the bedrooms are on the first and second floor only
- The staircase is 106cm wide. There are 15 steps to the first floor landing (bedrooms 6 to 21), with another 3 steps to bedrooms 1 to 5. Each step is 17cm high, 29cm deep and 106cm wide
- Most of the bedrooms are en-suite with shower. Some rooms only have a wash basin, there are public bathrooms available
- Large extensive gardens, which include orchard, herb garden, flower borders and trellis enclosed pool area
- A bench, garden chairs and loungers are available
- Garden is fairly level, with tarmac pathways. Easy access
- The outdoor swimming pool is available from May to September. The pool size is 12m x 6m plus the Roman end which has 5cm x 5cm deep steps
- The pool does not have an attendant and is currently not equipped with aids to assist entry
- Within the pool area there is an alarm, first aid post, rescue hook and a life buoy
- Fire procedure is displayed in each room and explained to guests on arrival. Guests requiring assistance at an evacuation are identified at this time and door hanger cards are issued
- Mobile phone reception is generally good from the main building
- Assistance dogs accompanying visually or hearing impaired guests are welcome; dogs must be kept on a lead or harness at all times
- Information can be provided in large print
- Staff have received disability awareness training
- Special diets can be catered for. Specialist food can be obtained with prior notice
- Fridge for medication can be supplied
Self guided walks
To make the most of your break use the Discovery Point at Holnicote House - the starting point for your outdoor adventure.
You'll find our recommended walking and cycling routes - detailed route notes for you to borrow contain route maps, and information about the places of interest on the walk. There's also a comprehensive library of local maps and guidebooks.
When you're not walking, there's plenty to do locally. Why not visit Lynton and the Valley of Rocks, ride on the West Somerset Railway, or visit a National Trust property. See the 'Local Area' tab for further ideas.
During your stay at Selworthy you can enjoy the following recommended routes:
Laid back walks
Our easiest routes, allowing plenty of time to savour the beautiful scenery. All our walk notes suggest the best places to stop, great pubs, and tea rooms.
- Holnicote Estate walk - 1 mile
- Selworthy Beacon from the car park - 1 mile
- Dunkery Beacon from the car park - 2 miles
- Selworthy village - 2 miles
- Valley of Rocks - 2 miles
Leg stretcher walks
Some longer walks generally on good paths. Experience the beauty of Exmoor as you walk through delightful moorland scenery.
- Lynmouth to Watersmeet - 4 miles
- Dunkery Beacon from Webbers Post - 4 miles
- Selworthy villages walk - 4.5 miles Sample route - Selworthy Villages walk
- Webbers Post - 5 miles
- Around Dunster - 5 miles
- Selworthy Beacon - 5 miles
- Selworthy Beacon & Hurlstone Point - 6 miles
- Around Lynton & Watersmeet - 7 miles Sample route - Around Lynton & Watersmeet
Full on walks
For those who enjoy striding out. We've included some longer walks across Exmoor and along the coast.
- Quantocks circuit - 8 miles
- Selworthy: coast, views & villages - 9 miles
- Dunkery Beacon - 9 miles
- Dunkery Beacon & Horner Water - 12 miles
- Coast path & East Lyn river - 13 miles
During your stay at Holnicote House you may enjoy visiting the following places of interest, either in your free time, or on your journey to and from Selworthy:
Less than a mile from Holnicote House is Selworthy village. At first glance the thatched cottages seem typical of many ancient settlements in this area. However, Selworthy is not as old as it looks, having been rebuilt in 1828 by Sir Thomas Acland. Sir Thomas was a philanthropist and designed the 'model' village himself to provide housing for the aged and infirm of the estate. He used traditional designs and materials to create a deliberately old-fashioned village.
West Somerset Railway
Travel on Britain’s longest steam railway from Minehead to Bishops Lydyard. Now lovingly restored by volunteers, the line recreates a classic Great Western Railway branch line with steam trains operating daily from April to October. Minehead station is 10 minutes' drive from Selworthy, or can be reached on the number 300 bus. www.west-somerset-railway.co.uk
An historic castle transformed into a comfortable stately home for the Luttrell family. Some highlights include the 'modern' 1950s kitchen and the snooker room. Dunster Castle sits in extensive gardens, complete with its working watermill. The adjacent town of Dunster is full of character and also well worth a visit. www.nationaltrust.org.uk/dunster-castle
Lynton & Lynmouth
The quaint Victorian town of Lynton sits high on a hill, overlooking the coast and Lynmouth harbour. The two settlements are connected by the historic cliff railway. The short walk from Lynton to the Valley of Rocks is highly recommended.
The poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge (1772-1834) and his wife Sara lived in the village of Nether Stowey, about 45 minutes' drive from Selworthy, from 1796 to 1799. In 1909 it was acquired by the National Trust, and later restored and opened to the public. www.nationaltrust.org.uk/coleridge-cottage
Hestercombe Gardens, around an hour's drive away near Taunton, were constructed in three periods - a landscape garden from the 1750s, a Victorian terrace and shrubbery from the 1870s, and Edwardian gardens of 1904-1908 designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens and Gertrude Jekyll. www.hestercombe.com
Arlington Court, about an hour's drive away near Barnstaple is a fine Regency house set in an extensive estate. The grounds include a formal Victorian garden whilst the stables house the National Trust’s carriage collection of over fifty horse-drawn vehicles. www.nationaltrust.org.uk/arlington-court
Travel to Selworthy
Our address is: Holnicote House, Selworthy, Minehead, Somerset TA24 8TJ
The nearest railway station is at Taunton. For train times and general rail enquiries visit www.nationalrail.co.uk or call 03457 484950 (from outside the UK call +44 20 7278 5240).
The 29 mile journey from Taunton railway station takes approximately 50 minutes. Pre-booked taxis cost approx £57 per taxi. Details of our current recommended taxi company and rates will be sent to you with your booking. taxi company will arrange shared taxis wherever possible. The return taxi journey can be arranged on your behalf by the Holnicote House Manager.
The number 28 bus operates between Taunton station and Minehead. At Minehead change for the number 10 bus that will take you to the Selworthy turn (which is at the end of Holnicote House drive). A 2 minute walk along the drive will bring you to the house. Alternatively pre-book a taxi from Minehead; the 4½ mile journey will cost you approx £10 from our recommended taxi provider. For bus times see www.traveline.info
From Bridgewater take the A39 though the southern outskirts of Minehead towards Porlock. Holnicote House is on the left about 4½ miles out of Minehead, and about ¾ mile after the signpost to Luccombe (do not follow the signs to Selworthy). After the Selworthy Village sign look out for our sign 500 yards further on, on the left. Free car parking is available in the grounds.
Travelling from Overseas
For most guests, travelling to London Heathrow airport is the most convenient option.
From Heathrow first take the train to London Paddington station. From here there are direct trains to Taunton. Its a relatively straightforward journey - allow 2½ hours. See www.nationalrail.co.uk for train times.
From Taunton you can travel on to Selworthy by bus or taxi (see above).
|Date & Rating||Customer Review||HF Holidays says|
5 Aug 2016, 3:44 p.m.
Our first experience and we love the concept. We only had 2 days walking so we did self guided which suited us very well. We enjoyed the social aspects of dining together.
Wonderful location and excellent staff. Food was delicious and so well organized.
31 Jul 2016, 9:53 a.m.
Well organized and efficient.
Pity that WiFi and TV reception unpredictable but to be expected in the heart of Somerset. I would have liked the pool to be open at 7am rather than 7.30am but no staff available. Thank you for the voucher for a free guided walk - it enabled me to assess what I could manage if I signed up for a guided walking holiday.
18 Jul 2016, 5:40 a.m.
a short self-guided break is an excellent way for us to walk in a new area
ideal position for walking with good walk descriptions; great food; friendly
11 Jul 2016, 8:04 a.m.
Excellent service - easy and efficient booking, easy to use website
Good standard of accommodation
Very pleasant and hardworking staff, from the manager to the waiting and cleaning staff
27 Jun 2016, 8:34 a.m.
On self guided walking. Food had much improved since my last time 3 years ago.
Attentive staff and good upgraded accommodation.
12 Jun 2016, 8:57 p.m.
Overall the holiday was excellent. My only comment is that the food could have been hotter.
3 Jun 2016, 7:40 p.m.
Food and welcome excellent
Staff most helpful and room good.
Please note: my email address is now email@example.com
2 Jun 2016, 10:36 a.m.
very good value for money
2 Jun 2016, 8:49 a.m.
everything was ideal.
everything was perfect.
31 May 2016, 10:51 a.m.
All was excellent
The food was excellent and staff too!
Read more reviews from feefo
Dates & Prices
|Date||Description||Nights||Brochure price||Buy today for||Book|
|10 Mar 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||3||£265.00||£215.00||Book Now|
|10 Mar 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||7||£579.00||£504.00||Book Now|
|12 Mar 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||3||£265.00||£215.00||Book Now|
|13 Mar 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||4||£315.00||£239.00||Book Now|
|17 Mar 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||3||£265.00||£215.00||Book Now|
|20 Mar 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||4||£315.00||£239.00||Book Now|
|24 Mar 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||3||£265.00||£215.00||Book Now|
|27 Mar 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||4||£315.00||£315.00||Book Now|
|31 Mar 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||3||£265.00||£215.00||Book Now|
|3 Apr 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||4||£315.00||£249.00||Book Now|
|3 Apr 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||7||£579.00||£504.00||Book Now|
|7 Apr 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||7||£649.00||£549.00||Book Now|
|7 Apr 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||3||£285.00||£235.00||Book Now|
|10 Apr 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||7||£649.00||£549.00||Book Now|
|10 Apr 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||4||£375.00||£315.00||Book Now|
|14 Apr 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||4||£375.00||£315.00||Book Now|
|14 Apr 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||7||£649.00||£549.00||Book Now|
|18 Apr 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||3||£285.00||£235.00||Book Now|
|21 Apr 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||3||£285.00||£225.00||Book Now|
|28 Apr 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||7||£649.00||£549.00||Book Now|
|28 Apr 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||3||£285.00||£225.00||Book Now|
|1 May 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||4||£375.00||£315.00||Book Now|
|19 May 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||3||£299.00||£259.00||Book Now|
|5 Jun 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||4||£415.00||£375.00||Book Now|
|5 Jun 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||3||£299.00||£259.00||Book Now|
|9 Jun 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||3||£299.00||£259.00||Book Now|
|9 Jun 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||7||£699.00||£629.00||Book Now|
|12 Jun 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||4||£415.00||£375.00||Book Now|
|16 Jun 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||3||£299.00||£259.00||Book Now|
|16 Jun 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||7||£699.00||£629.00||Book Now|
|19 Jun 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||4||£415.00||£375.00||Book Now|
|23 Jun 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||3||£299.00||£299.00||Book Now|
|1 Jul 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||7||£699.00||£629.00||Book Now|
|5 Jul 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||3||£299.00||£299.00||Book Now|
|8 Jul 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||7||£699.00||£629.00||Book Now|
|15 Jul 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||4||£415.00||£355.00||Book Now|
|15 Jul 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||7||£699.00||£629.00||Book Now|
|19 Jul 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||3||£299.00||£259.00||Book Now|
|26 Aug 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||3||£299.00||£239.00||Book Now|
|26 Aug 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||7||£699.00||£599.00||Book Now|
|29 Aug 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||4||£415.00||£340.00||Book Now|
|4 Sep 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||7||£699.00||£699.00||Book Now|
|8 Sep 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||3||£299.00||£259.00||Book Now|
|11 Sep 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||7||£699.00||£699.00||Book Now|
|22 Sep 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||3||£299.00||£249.00||Book Now|
|29 Sep 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||3||£285.00||£235.00||Book Now|
|6 Oct 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||3||£285.00||£235.00||Book Now|
|6 Oct 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||7||£649.00||£549.00||Book Now|
|9 Oct 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||4||£375.00||£305.00||Book Now|
|20 Oct 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||3||£285.00||£235.00||Book Now|
|23 Oct 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||4||£375.00||£300.00||Book Now|
|27 Oct 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||3||£265.00||£215.00||Book Now|
|28 Oct 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||2||£170.00||£170.00||Book Now|
|30 Oct 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||4||£315.00||£244.00||Book Now|
|3 Nov 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||2||£170.00||£170.00||Book Now|
|3 Nov 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||3||£265.00||£215.00||Book Now|
|6 Nov 2017||SLPOA - Self-guided Walking - Selworthy||4||£315.00||£229.00||Book Now|
Prices are per person
- Premium single room: £15 per night
- Premium twin/double room: £10 per person per night
- Non-member associate fee: £10 per person