Self-guided Walking at St Ives
Code: SVPOAPrint page
Difficulty is measured on many factors such as distance, ascent/descent, terrain, weather and more. There's no magic formula, but from our experience we use yellow for easy, orange for medium and red for hard. Challenger holidays require a high level of fitness and stamina.
Enjoy a break on the stunning Cornish coast with the walking experts; we have all the ingredients for your perfect self-guided escape. Our Country House, superbly situated in the charming harbour town of St Ives, is geared to the needs of walkers and outdoor enthusiasts. Enjoy hearty local food, detailed routes notes, and a wonderful location from which to enjoy all the delights of the Cornish coast.
Chy Morvah, meaning ‘house by the sea’ in Cornish, is an appropriate name for this characteristic seaside property. Situated within walking distance of the centre of St Ives, it enjoys wonderful views along the north Cornwall coast.
Our classic bedrooms offer comfortable accommodation and an en-suite bathroom with bath or shower. They also have TV, hairdryer, and tea and coffee making facilities. Single rooms are available at no extra charge.
You can enjoy extra space or exceptional views plus additional facilities including a towelling robe and complimentary slippers when you upgrade to a premium bedroom. Premium rooms are available at just £10 extra per person per night.
If you are travelling with your family, we have a selection of 3 and 4-bedded family bedrooms. These have all the facilities of our classic rooms plus full sized twin or double beds for adults and bunk beds or occasional beds for children.
All our Country Houses are tailored to walkers and outdoor enthusiasts and have excellent boot and drying rooms and laundry facilities.
Chy Morvah has been designed to make maximum use of its splendid elevated position and sea views. The panoramic main lounges enjoy views across St Ives Bay and form a flexible and sociable open-plan room.
The dining room is particularly light and has a conservatory front overlooking the gardens and the sea. There is also a ballroom which can be used for a variety of evening activities and a comfortable bar. Free WiFi is available in some public rooms. There is also a range of board games and books.
Chy Morvah has attractive gardens with sea views. The heated outdoor pool is always popular with our guests (open April – September, weather permitting). Table football and boules are available in the garden.
All holidays at our Country Houses are Full Board with all meals included, from dinner on arrival to breakfast on the day of your departure.
Start your day with our extensive breakfast. Choose from a wide selection on the cold buffet and/or a full cooked breakfast. Maybe enjoy a lighter option of fruit and yoghurt followed by scrambled egg, go for porridge followed by a full English breakfast, or select something in between.
Choose from our famous self-select picnic lunches - everything you need to keep you going on a day outdoors. Your own choice of sandwiches is prepared to order, and you can add crisps and snacks, fruit, nuts, chocolate bars, sweets and biscuits as you wish.
Our house-based Leisure Activities include an in-house lunch (generally soup, sandwiches etc).
The relaxed dinner is a highlight of any stay at our Country Houses. With tables seating up to 10 and no seating plan, it offers a great opportunity to get to know your fellow guests. There is always a choice of dishes for every course, featuring good British cooking and often local specialities. A vegetarian option is always available.
All our Country Houses have a well-stocked bar serving local beers, wine and spirits.
Guided Walking: enjoy a glass of wine or local beer in the bar before a talk about the next day's walks. After dinner there will be an activity or entertainment which you will be welcome to join. These vary from week to week but a highlight during summer is a performance at the famous open air Minack Theatre (usually every Tuesday). In addition there could be the opportunity to enjoy a talk on local history, a team quiz, or a stroll into St Ives itself. Alternatively if you prefer, feel free to just relax in our lounge or bar.
Leisure Activities: many of our Leisure Activities holidays continue into the evening with programmed sessions. Other holidays will have the evenings free, and you will be welcome to join in other social activities that may be happening in the house.
Family holidays: our activity leaders are on hand to organise children’s activities and games for younger children before dinner. These could include rounders, outdoor games, or crafts. After dinner there are further activities for the whole family.
Self-Guided Walking: there may be evening social activities happening in the house during your holiday, and you will be most welcome to join in. However, not all self-guided holidays will have evening activities available – if these are important to you, please check before booking.
Due to the layout of Chy Morvah, it is not recommended for wheelchair users and guests with restricted mobility.
Arrival & car parking facilities
- There is ample free parking for guests, with 2 spaces for disabled drivers
- The surface of the car park is tarmac and the car park is on level ground
- Assistance can be provided with luggage
Main entrance & reception
- From the main car park to the main house there is a smooth pathway, which has 2 sets of steps to the Reception door (3ft wide)
- The first set has 7 steps (each being 8 inches high, 11 inches deep) and the second set has 2 steps (both are 8 inches high, 24 inches deep). There is a handrail (32 inches high) and the steps are lit at night time
- Entrance from disabled parking is via 2 steps with limited access through the ballroom fire door
- There is level access from the main car park to the Lanyons building, however all bedrooms in Lanyons are on the first and second floor
- Assistance and porterage is available on request
Public areas - hall, stairs, landing, corridors etc
- All public areas are well lit and carpeted, with the exception of Ballroom, Art Studio and games Room which have wooden flooring
- Minimum door width is 2ft 6 inches
Public areas - sitting room, lounges
- The main house has main office / mini-shop, lounge, bar, conservatory, dining room, ballroom and public toilets on the ground floor and bedrooms on various floors, including the ground floor
- Lanyons has the following facilities on the ground floor: Art room, games room, washing and drying facilities, boot room and public toilet
- The door widths to the public rooms are: Ball room 5ft, bar 3ft, ballroom fire door 2ft 6inches, art room 3ft and games room 3ft. The lounge has no door
- The lounge is L shaped, approximately 50ft x 20ft
- Unisex public toilets on the ground floor are accessed via 1 step of 8in high. The door is 2ft 6inches wide
- Toilet seat height 18 inches, hand basin 30 inches high
- The ladies toilet on the ground floor is accessed via 3 steps up (a hand rail, each step is 8 inches high and 11 inches wide), followed by 3 steps down (each step is 8 inches high and 12 inches deep). The entrance door to the ladies toilet is 3ft wide, the cubicle door is 2ft 6 inches
- Toilet seat height 18 inches, hand basin 32 inches
Dining room & bar
- The ground floor dining room seats 60 in circular tables
- The table height is 16 inches, the armless chairs are 18 inches high with the back rest of 40 inches
- The approximate size of the dining room is 50ft x 20ft
- Waitress service, except on buffet nights. Assistance available, if required
- The bar has tub stools that are 18 inches high and the high bar stools are 30 inches high
- Tables in the bar area are 16 inches high. The approximate bar area is 15ft x 10ft
- Outdoor pool, which can be accessed from the Basement level rooms without incurring any steps
- Pool size 20ft x 30ft. Heated between May and September
- Pool surrounded by paving stones
- The pool complied with the relevant Health & Safety standards, but does not have lifting equipment
- Pool alarm situated beside the pool for emergencies
- Bedrooms are situated on the lower ground, ground, first and second floors of the main house and first and second floor of Lanyons
- The two bedrooms best suited for anyone with restricted mobility are room 24 (single) and room 33 (twin), both are on the ground floor of the main house
- The beds are 2ft 6 inches high and 3ft wide
- Minimum door width 2ft 6 inches
- All bedrooms are en-suite, most rooms are with a shower, but rooms with bath are also available
- All rooms are carpeted and well lit
- All furniture, including beds is movable
- All en-suite, most with a shower, but rooms with bath are also available
- Bathrooms for rooms 24 and 33 have a shower. Bathroom door width 2ft 6 inches, toilet height 16 inches, hand basin 30 inches, shower step 10 inches high. No hand rail
- Lino flooring
- Fire procedure is displayed in each room and explained to guests on arrival. Guests requiring assistance at an evacuation are identified at this time and door hanger cards are issued
- Mobile phone reception is generally good from the main building
- Assistance dogs accompanying visually or hearing impaired guests are welcome; dogs must be kept on a lead or harness at all times
- Information can be provided in large print
- Staff have received disability awareness training
- Special diets can be catered for. Specialist food can be obtained with prior notice
- Fridge for medication can be supplied
Self guided walks
To make the most of your break use the Discovery Point at Chy Morvah - the starting point for your outdoor adventure.
You'll find our recommended walking and cycling routes - detailed route notes for you to borrow contain route maps, and information about the places of interest on the walk. There's also a comprehensive library of local maps and guidebooks.
When you're not walking, there's plenty to do locally. Why not visit St Michael's Mount, join the local surf school, or just explore the numerous galleries in St Ives. See the 'Local Area' tab for further ideas.
During your stay at St Ives you can enjoy the following recommended routes:
Laid back walks
Our easiest routes, allowing plenty of time to savour the beautiful scenery. All our walk notes suggest the best places to stop, great pubs, and tea rooms.
- St Ives town trail - 1 miles
- Carbis Bay to St Ives - 2 miles
- Godrevy Point - 2 miles
- Sennan Cove to Lands End - 3 miles
- Around St Ives - 3 miles
- Lelant to St Ives - 4 miles Sample route - Lelant to St Ives
Leg stretcher walks
Some longer walks including some stretches along the South West Coast path. Experience a true flavour of Cornwall as you follow these varied routes.
- Minack Theatre & Porthgwara - 4 miles
- Around Lizard Point - 5 miles
- Knills Monument & Carbis Bay - 5 miles
- Lizard Point & Church Cove - 5 miles
- Clodgy Point & Trevalgan - 6 miles
Full on walks
For those who love to stride out. Expect some rougher paths and some short but steep ascents as you tackle some of the longer stretches of the coastal path.
- Zennor to St Ives - 8 miles
- Cadgwith & Lizard Point - 8 miles
- Botallack to Lands End - 8 miles Sample route - Botallack to Lands End
- St Michael's Way - 9 miles
- Morvah to St Ives - 10 miles
Chy Morvah is situated in the attractive seaside town of St Ives. A 10 minute downhill walk will take you to the harbour and old town; a maze of narrow streets and shops. The harbour front is always bustling with activity, and there are numerous artists’ galleries to enjoy. There are also two excellent sandy beaches. Nearby Porthminster Beach (5 to 10 minutes' walk) is very sheltered and very popular with families. Porthmeor Beach on the far side of town (15 to 20 minutes' walk) is more exposed and excellent for surfing. There are several surf schools if you want to give this a go – a popular option for all ages! St Ives has a full range of facilities including shops, banks, chemists, pubs and cafés.
During your stay at Chy Morvah you may enjoy visiting the following places of interest:
Tate Gallery & Barbara Hepworth Gallery
Opened in 1993, this branch of the Tate Gallery celebrates Cornwall’s rich artistic legacy. Tate St Ives also manages the Barbara Hepworth Museum and Sculpture Garden, which gives a remarkable insight into the work and outlook of one of Britain's most important 20th century artists. Both galleries are within easy walking distance of Chy Morvah. www.tate.org.uk
Justifiably popular with visitors, the fascinating ‘Biomes’ of the Eden Project house a flamboyant collection of plants from around the world. Explore the two gigantic geodesic conservatories – one a majestic rainforest, the other is host to the fruits and flowers of the Mediterranean, South Africa and California. Outside the extensive grounds are landscaped and produce tea, lavender, sunflowers and hemp. The Eden Project is just over an hour's drive from St Ives. Between May and September guests staying at Chy Morvah are able to book a coach excursion each Wedneday, organised by Oates Travel. www.edenproject.com
St Michael’s Mount
The jewel in Cornwall's crown, a fairytale island with an exotic garden, ancient harbour, a church and a medieval castle. Access from Marazion is by foot along the causeway, or by ferry at high water. Marazion is about 20 minutes' drive from St Ives, and can also be reached by regular local buses. www.stmichaelsmount.co.uk
National Maritime Museum
Cornwall's £21 million attraction in Falmouth is housed in an award winning building on the harbour-side. The museum transports you into the world of small boats and Cornish maritime history. Falmouth is about 50 minutes' drive from St Ives, and a day here could include visits to Pendennis Castle, or a delightful boat trip up the River Fal to Truro. www.nmmc.co.uk
National Seal Sanctuary
Situated at Gweek beside the Helford estuary, the seal sanctuary cares for injured or abandoned seals, before returning them to the wild. The seal sanctuary is about 40 minutes' drive from St Ives. www.sealsanctuary.co.uk
Geevor Tin Min
Discover Cornwall's mining heritage at this excellent museum. Guided underground trips as well as surface tours are available. The musem is about 30 minutes' drive from St Ives, and can also be reached using the 300 open-top bus. www.geevor.com
Lost Gardens of Heligan
Created in the mid 18th century, the gardens at Heligan are one of the best examples in Britain, famed for displays of rhododendrons and camellias. Following years of neglect they have been subject to extensive restoration work over the last 20 years. The gardens, located near Mevagissey are just over an hour's drive from St Ives. www.heligan.com
This uniquely situated open-air theatre is cut into the cliffs at Porthcurno, near Lands End. Performances take place most evenings with some afternoon matinees. The Rowena Cade Exhibition Centre tells the story of its creation. An evening theatre visit is offered on most weeks to guests staying at Chy Morvah (May to September). www.minack.com
St Michaels Mount image credited to Mike Newman, Eden Project image ©Hufton+Crow,
Travel to St Ives
Our address is: Chy Morvah, Bishops Road, The Belyars, St Ives, Cornwall TR26 2DB
The nearest railway station is St Ives, however you may find the journey to St Erth on the main line more convenient. For train times and general rail enquiries visit www.nationalrail.co.uk or call 03457 484950 (from outside the UK call +44 20 7278 5240).
St Ives station is only ½ mile from Chy Morvah, but it is rather a steep uphill walk. Taxis cost approx £4 for this short transfer. Details of our current recommended taxi company and rates will be sent to you with your booking. The return taxi journey can be arranged on your behalf by the Chy Morvah Manager.
Head to Cornwall via the A30. At a large roundabout take the A3074 signposted to St Ives. Pass through Lelant and Carbis Bay. Pass the Treganna Castle on the left, then as you approach St Ives take the left fork, following signs to visitor parking and leisure centre. Follow the road and turn left up the steep hill. Almost immediately the road turns left again by the Longships Hotel, but at this junction turn right and go up the hill. Chy Morvah is in front of you. To reach the car park drive left past the front of Chy Morvah and turn immediately right behind the back of the building. The car park is on the right 15 yards along the lane.
Travelling from overseas
For most guests, travelling to London Heathrow airport is the most convenient option.
From Heathrow first take the train to London Paddington station. From here there are direct trains to St Erth, and finally a short branch line train to St Ives.This is a relatively straightforward, if lengthy journey - allow 6½ hours, so a morning arrival into Heathrow would be preferable.
|Date & Rating||Customer Review||HF Holidays says|
5 Nov 2016, 8:17 a.m.
The staff were friendly and helpful. We did wonder why the house was closing when it ought to be possible to run holidays, albeit of a different kind, in St Ives which has a season which pretty much runs all year.
The introduction of detailed route cards for self-guided walkers is a real help. I had planned walks before arriving but the cards gave me new ideas. All three leaders were welcoming and made us feel part of the whole thing.
30 Jul 2016, 3:14 p.m.
No review provided
well thought out, friendly and welcoming holiday with great staff and lovely food.
12 Jul 2016, 8:13 a.m.
No review provided
good accommodation, meals and service
24 Jun 2016, 9:41 p.m.
No review provided
When we payed our final instalment we asked if a room had become available in the main lodge as we had the last small room with two single beds, in the Annex. We were told yes, but on arrival found that they were fully booked and unable to change rooms. As it turned out, the room was quite adequate for our needs, so no problem.
24 Jun 2016, 9:37 a.m.
A really enjoyable 3 night stay
Staff made us welcome , felt part of the guests although we were on a self guided holiday
14 Jun 2016, 6:39 p.m.
Overall good but the quality varies considerably from house to house.
This house was not as good as some of the other HF houses I went to this year. The bedroom was a problem because it was situated up in the roof space, which meant it was very hot and also very noisy.
11 Jun 2016, 6:14 a.m.
Right from my arrival in St Ives we were welcomed with a warm and friendly greeting. Although on self guided holiday felt included in the group.
A lovely house in an excellent position, very comfortable rooms and friendly and helpful staff.
31 May 2016, 11:01 a.m.
Holiday overall was good but a few areas need attention
12 May 2016, 1:08 p.m.
10 May 2016, 5:26 a.m.
As usual HF came up trumps
Lovely friendly place to stay - with great staff and superb food!
Read more reviews from feefo
Dates & Prices
|Date||Description||Nights||Brochure price||Buy today for||Book|
|29 Mar 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||3||£265.00||£235.00||Book Now|
|5 Apr 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||3||£265.00||£165.00||Book Now|
|7 Apr 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||1||£89.00||£89.00||Book Now|
|8 Apr 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||4||£375.00||£315.00||Book Now|
|12 Apr 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||3||£285.00||£235.00||Book Now|
|15 Apr 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||4||£375.00||£315.00||Book Now|
|22 Apr 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||7||£649.00||£574.00||Book Now|
|6 May 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||7||£699.00||£654.00||Book Now|
|10 May 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||3||£299.00||£259.00||Book Now|
|13 May 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||4||£415.00||£395.00||Book Now|
|13 May 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||7||£699.00||£669.00||Book Now|
|17 May 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||3||£299.00||£269.00||Book Now|
|20 May 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||7||£699.00||£669.00||Book Now|
|20 May 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||4||£415.00||£395.00||Book Now|
|24 May 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||3||£299.00||£269.00||Book Now|
|3 Jun 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||4||£415.00||£395.00||Book Now|
|3 Jun 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||7||£699.00||£669.00||Book Now|
|7 Jun 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||3||£299.00||£269.00||Book Now|
|13 Jun 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||3||£299.00||£269.00||Book Now|
|17 Jun 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||4||£415.00||£395.00||Book Now|
|17 Jun 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||7||£699.00||£669.00||Book Now|
|21 Jun 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||3||£299.00||£269.00||Book Now|
|26 Jun 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||2||£190.00||£190.00||Book Now|
|26 Jun 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||5||£499.00||£399.00||Book Now|
|1 Jul 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||7||£699.00||£659.00||Book Now|
|19 Jul 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||3||£299.00||£269.00||Book Now|
|26 Jul 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||3||£299.00||£269.00||Book Now|
|26 Aug 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||7||£699.00||£669.00||Book Now|
|30 Aug 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||3||£299.00||£269.00||Book Now|
|9 Sep 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||7||£699.00||£659.00||Book Now|
|13 Sep 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||3||£299.00||£269.00||Book Now|
|7 Oct 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||4||£375.00||£330.00||Book Now|
|7 Oct 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||5||£463.00||£463.00||Book Now|
|7 Oct 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||7||£649.00||£574.00||Book Now|
|11 Oct 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||3||£285.00||£235.00||Book Now|
|14 Oct 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||4||£375.00||£330.00||Book Now|
|18 Oct 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||3||£285.00||£235.00||Book Now|
|21 Oct 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||4||£375.00||£330.00||Book Now|
|25 Oct 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||3||£285.00||£235.00||Book Now|
|1 Nov 2017||SVPOA - Self-guided Walking - St Ives||3||£265.00||£215.00||Book Now|
Prices are per person
- Premium single room: £15 per night
- Premium twin/double room: £10 per person per night
- Non-member associate fee: £10 per person