Sorrento Peninsula Sketching & Painting Holiday
Feel the aura of magic in Sorrento, one of Italy's most beautiful landscapes. Sketch and paint the spectacular coastal scenery of the Sorrento Peninsula.
- We’ll spend most of the day outdoors seeking out the best light, colours and landscapes
- Our professional artist leader will guide and encourage
- Enjoy the sociable atmosphere of painting in a group
- Small groups of up to 15 fellow-artists
- Good quality en-suite accommodation in one of our European partner hotels
- Half Board – continental breakfast and evening meal
- Tuition from our knowledgeable HF Holidays’ leader, to ensure you get the most from your holiday
- All transport to and from painting sites
- ‘With flight’ holidays include return flights from the UK and hotel transfers
Hotel Caravel - Sorrento Peninsula
The Liccardi family and their staff have been looking after HF Holidays’ guests for twenty years, and will offer you a warm welcome at 4-star Hotel Caravel. The hotel lies in the residential district of Sant’ Agnello and is surrounded by pleasant gardens with lemon trees. Close by are the shops and Sant’ Agnello railway station. The centre of Sorrento town is about 1 mile away.
Hotel Caravel has 92 comfortable bedrooms which are decorated in a traditional style.
All bedrooms have:
- En-suite bathroom with shower or bath
- Cable television
- Safe deposit box
Hotel Caravel has a:
- Large open plan lounge area incorporating a piano bar
- Garden terrace
- Swimming pool
- Games room with pool-table
- Internet access
Food & Drink
Our holidays at Hotel Caravel are on a Half Board basis and include breakfast and evening meal.
Hotel Caravel offers a self-select buffet breakfast including cereals, fruit, bread and cake, yogurts, cheese and ham, and scrambled eggs, bacon and sausages. Tea, coffee and hot chocolate are available.
Lunch (payable locally)
Picnic lunches can be bought from the hotel (ordering the evening before). Alternatively ingredients can be bought in local shops. It may also be possible to eat in a café during the day; your leaders will advise you of the options.
Dinner at Hotel Caravel is a three course meal offering many Italian specialities plus an excellent self-service salad bar. There are vegetarian options at each course. For special dietary requirements we recommend that you discuss your requirements with the manager on arrival.
Hotel Caravel has a well-stocked bar serving beer, wine and spirits.
The friendly atmosphere of our holidays continues throughout the evening.
Enjoy a glass of wine or local beer before hearing about the next day's activities followed by a leisurely meal with your fellow guests.
One evening we visit a local a Limoncello factory and have a tasting session and another we visit the famous Foreigner's bar which offers spectacular views across the bay.
Your leader will also be checking out for other local events or you may like to relax on the terrace or in the piano bar with a drink.
What to Bring
To enjoy your holiday comfortably and safely, it’s essential that your clothing and footwear is suitable for the conditions likely to be encountered. Changeable weather is possible throughout the year, so our advice is to come prepared for all eventualities – hot, cold, wet or dry.
All of our Sketching & Painting holidays involve walking whilst carrying your equipment. You should therefore be prepared for doing so on uneven terrain and wear flat, comfortable shoes. In the evening most guests wear casual clothing.
You will need to bring the following items. Please remember that you will have to carry these on painting excursions and possibly also pay extra if you exceed your luggage allowance.
- Appropriate clothing, sturdy footwear (eg walking boots) and a wide-brimmed hat or plastic eye shade
- Rucksack or small case on wheels to transport art materials to and from painting locations – remember that you will have to carry your equipment, spare clothing, lunch, drinking water, sunscreen etc from the coach to the place where you are to paint or sketch. We strongly advise against bringing shopping bags or bags with long shoulder straps, which can swing and dangle, causing imbalance and possible trips and falls
- A lightweight folding chair/stool if you have one, alternatively a cushion, garden kneeler or plastic seat pad
Paints - Guests are invited to bring their own preferred medium. A small watercolour box with yellow Ochre, Raw Sienna and Raw Umber would be perfect. Other suggested colours might include: Cadmium Yellow Pale, Lemon Yellow, Cadmium Red Pale, Permanent Alizarin Crimson, Cobalt Blue, Ultra Marine Blue, Raw Umber, Raw Sienna and Yellow Ochre (Titanium White if you are using opaque mediums like Gouache or Acrylics). These are Murray's everyday colours but please only bring what you are used to or has been bought for you.
Brushes – Suggested sizes: 4, 6, 8 or 10 and a rigger brush (or just what you are using). Any reasonable quality will suffice e.g. Sable and synthetic blend or even just synthetic so long as they come to a nice point.
A folding palette or palette with wells for mixing, plastic is good for its lightness.
Paper - Any reasonable size in the paper and surface of your choice, Murray uses NOT and Hot Pressed Saunders Waterford 1/8 imperial sizes
Sketchpad - Murray uses an A5 sketchpad of good quality cartridge paper for his travels. A4 size paper would be handy too. He also uses waterproof ink technical pens in sizes 0.05 and 0.3 in combination with water-soluble graphite pencils, a 'B' grade is fine and a water brush pen either Derwent or Pentel are good in a medium size, this is a terrific way of sketching, this allows you to travel light!
Other smaller items:
- pencils, sharpener, kneadable eraser
- small lightweight water pot (non-tip best)
- 1 water bottle (for clean water)
- Paper towels / rag
- Coloured watercolour pencils (entirely optional and only if you have them, but they can be useful for quick colour reference and enhancing)
Please note, on European holidays we are unable to provide easels or A3 painting boards for guests to borrow.
-1 nights from 0pp
...or call 020 3974 8865