Join us in the heart of the Austrian Tyrol, amidst the 3,000 metre peaks of the Stubai Alps, and enjoy outstanding Alpine walks to the level of your choosing. From our base in Neustift we can make use of the Stubaital’s excellent transport network to reach a wide variety of walks, from spectacular mountain summits to lush, flower-filled valleys, before returning to our excellent family-run partner hotel for hearty Alpine dining. Neustift is about 15 miles from Innsbruck. This broad valley is one of the most scenic in Tyrol and at its entrance stand massive limestone formations. This area has evidence of early bronze-age settlements and their names originate from pre-Roman times. It was eventually settled by the Romans when Caesar Augustus and his legions pushed north in 15BC. The emblem of the town consists of a red shield with a white band like the Austrian flag and there is a crossbow with black arrows reminiscent of the hunting trips of Emperor Maximillian who hunted deer, chamois and boar in the Upper Stubaital. The Emperor built a chapel in Neustift in 1505 and the first church was built in 1516 dedicated to St George. This church has ornately decorated frescos designed by well-known masters.
- Ascend the spectacular Stubai summits for breathtaking panoramic views
- Stay in pretty Neustift at the heart of the valley, surrounded by majestic mountains
- The Hotel Sonnhof offers a warm Tyrolean welcome and wonderful 5-course evening meals
- Enjoy a well-earned rest in the hotel’s extensive wellness and relaxation areas
- A full programme of guided walks with 2 options every walking day
- All transport to and from walks
- The Stubai Supercard; a transport card and much more; a bonus for your free day offering free access on some of local gondalas, as well as some rail travel, free and reduced entries to lots of attractions in the areas (see local area for full details).
- The services of experienced HF Holidays’ leaders
- Return flights from the UK and hotel transfers on ‘with flight’ holidays
- 7 nights' accommodation in en-suite rooms
- Half Board – continental buffet breakfast and 5-course evening meal
Welcome to Hotel Sonnhof. Unpack and settle in.
Distance: 10 miles (16km)
Total ascent: 3,600 feet (1,080m)
In summary: A truly dramatic circuit from the valley passing a high-level glacial lake and then crossing a knife-edge ridge before descending to a high hut and back to the valley. This walk shows off the Stubai ‘Wild Water’ at its best.
Highlight: A stunning high level walk.
Distance: 12 miles (19km)
Total ascent: 4,200 feet (1,260m)
In summary: The chance to ascend the Stubai’s most famous peak, towering over the entrance to the valley. We use the cable car to gain height and then pass a pretty monastery before traversing through woodland and then up through scree to a high pass and the summit cross with its stunning views. A long steep descent takes us back to the hotel.
Highlight: Ascend Serles, the Stubai's most famous peak.
Distance: 9 miles (14½km)
Total ascent: 3,100 feet (930m)
In summary: A traverse of the ‘fairy castle’ overlooking Neustift, followed by a scramble onto its neighbouring peak. Magnificent rock scenery and fascinating geology.
Highlight: Incredible views of the surrounding peaks.
Each week there is a free day when no guided walks are offered. This is an ideal opportunity to relax around the hotel, walk independently (making use of the free travel afforded by the Stubai Supercard), or visit local places of interest. Some options may include:
Innsbruck: The capital of the Tyrol offers an interesting day out via bus or train. Places to visit include the Imperial Palace, Royal Gardens, Cathedral and the Golden Roof, or enjoy a stroll around the Old Town.
Mutterberg Glacier: Using the Stubai Supercard, it is possible to ascend to the top stations above Mutterberg for wonderful views, and even to walk on the glacier with optional visits to the Ice Cave
For local information please visit www.stubai.at/en/
Distance: 12 miles (19km)
Total ascent: 3,000 feet (900m)
In summary: We ascend another of the Stubai ‘Seven Summits’, the Hoher Burgstall, then stay high, traversing across high passes down into a beautiful quiet side valley and a taxi back to the hotel.
Highlight: Ascend the Hoher Burgstall for fabulous views.
Distance: 10 miles (16km)
Total ascent: 4,200 feet (1,260m)
In summary: Probably the most dramatic of our summits, this 3,000m peak is reached via a taxi into the Oberberg valley, then an ascent via the famous Franz Senn mountain hut. The sudden view of the Luener glacier is a ‘not to be missed’ moment.
Highlight: This is an exhilarating and challenging end to the week.
We hope to see you again soon.
Hotel Sonnhof - Stubai Alps
The Pfurtscheller Family and their team welcome you to their 4-star hotel: Hotel Sonnhof. Located in the heart of the traditional village of Neustift im Stubaital, this hotel offers easy access to the local transport and shops. The Sonnhof offers an extensive spa area and restaurant with summer terrace with panoramic views. Bedrooms are fitted with traditional wooden furniture, large bathrooms and balconies. Neustift is located about 25km from the Tyrolean capital, Innsbruck. On a clear day, it is possible to see the southern part of the Italian Alps and the western summits of the Swiss mountains.
The hotel features 38 cosy, traditional and well-equipped en-suite rooms, with:
- Small room safe
The hotel has a delightful outside terrace with seating, the best place to relax and enjoy the views in the summer.
Guests can also relax and enjoy a drink at the atmospheric bar.
There is a wellness centre that features a sauna, steam room and a spa pool.
Food & Drink
Our holidays at Neustift are Half Board
Self-service buffet with cereals, fruit juices, fruit, cold meat & cheese, as well as pastries and some hot items.
Lunch (payable locally)
The hotel can provide pre-ordered packed lunches at an additional cost. Alternatively, ingredients for a picnic lunch can be purchased from local shops or it may be possible to eat at cafés or huts on certain days on the walks. Our leaders will advise you of the options.
A 5-course dinner is served in the restaurant. Vegetarian and special diets are catered for; we ask you to take a few moments to speak with the hotel management on arrival to advise them of your needs.
The hotel has a well-stocked bar serving local beers, wine and spirits.
The friendly atmosphere of our Guided Walking holidays continues into the evening.
Enjoy a glass of wine or beer whilst listening to your leaders outlining the next day's walks.
On some evenings there may be some live music and or you may just like to relax in the hotel bar or on the terrace outside chatting with your fellow guests.
Your leaders will be checking for local events going on nearby
What to Bring
To enjoy walking/hiking comfortably and safely, footwear, clothing and equipment needs to be suitable for the conditions. Safety and comfort are our priorities, so our advice is to come prepared for all eventualities.
- Footwear with a good grip on the sole (e.g.Vibram sole) is the key to avoiding accidents.
- Walking/hiking boots providing ankle support and good grip are recommended (ideally worn in), and specialist walking socks to avoid blisters.
- Several layers of clothing, which can be added or removed, are better than a single layer (include spares).
- Fabrics (lightweight and fast drying) designed for the outdoors are recommended.
- Waterproof jacket and waterproof over trousers.
- Warm hat and gloves.
- Denim jeans and capes are not suitable on any walks.
- Rucksack with a waterproof liner.
- Thermos flask for hot drink.
- Water bottle (at least 2 litre).
- Spare high-energy food such as a chocolate bar.
- Small torch.
- First aid kit – your leader’s first aid kit doesn’t contain any medication or blister kits (such as Compeed).
- Sun hat and sunglasses
- Sun cream.
- Walking poles are useful, particularly for descents.
- Insect repellent.
All holidays are subject to availability and prices are subject to change.
Non-Member fee: £10 per person.
These departure dates can be booked with flights or as land only holiday options. All packages that include flights are ATOL protected. Advertised flight prices are based on UK flights departing from London. Regional departures and/or connections to London, if available, can be requested. Cabin upgrades may also be available on request.
|Date (Start - End)||Version||Price||Status||Trip Notes||Book|
|22 Aug - 29 Aug||2019 Itinerary||£1,289||Available||Book Now|
|29 Aug - 05 Sep||2019 Itinerary||£1,289||Available||Book Now|
- Single room: £12 per night
- With flight holidays include flights from Heathrow.
- UK connecting flights to meet our Heathrow British Airways flight available from Manchester, Leeds Bradford, Newcastle, Glasgow or Edinburgh. £139
- Independent travellers can join our transfer from Munich Airport: £50 single
7 nights from £1,289pp with flights
...or call 020 3974 8865