Yoga & Walking at Glen Coe
Code: LLKYWPrint page
In yoga we stretch, balance and concentrate in various poses with the aim of strengthening the weak areas and loosening the tight and tense areas in our body. Breathing techniques enhance energy levels and can benefit our emotional state, while meditation and relaxation techniques calm and replenish us. Combine Yoga sessions with an energising guided walk in the best of the local countryside for the perfect treat for mind and body.
- Experienced tutors to offer advice, answer your questions and take you through the key principles
- Improve your suppleness and flexibility, learn how to calm your mind and improve your concentration
- Sessions will cover postures (asanas), breathing techniques (pranayama) and relaxation and meditation
- Guided walks each morning are the perfect complement
Great Reasons to Join Us:
- Great value: all prices include Full Board en-suite accommodation, tuition from our expert leaders and transport to and from the walks, if required
- Accommodation: enjoy high quality accommodation and excellent food at all of our Country Houses
- Expert leaders: our leaders are expert in their field and will ensure that you get the most from your holiday
- Sociability: spend time with like-minded people in a fun and relaxed environment
Alltshellach is a fine Highland residence, situated on the dramatic shores of Loch Leven. With magnificent mountain views, excellent accommodation and a superb indoor pool, it is extremely popular with all outdoor enthusiasts.
Our classic bedrooms offer comfortable accommodation and an en-suite bathroom with bath or shower. They also have TV, hairdryer, and tea and coffee making facilities. Single rooms are available at no extra charge.
You can enjoy extra space or exceptional views plus additional facilities including a towelling robe and complimentary slippers when you upgrade to a premium bedroom. Premium rooms are available at just £10 extra per person per night.
If you are travelling with your family, we have a selection of 3 and 4-bedded family bedrooms. These have all the facilities of our classic rooms plus full sized twin or double beds for adults and bunk beds or occasional beds for children.
All our Country Houses are tailored to the needs of walkers and outdoor enthusiasts and have excellent boot and drying rooms.
There are three lounges, one of which was once a chapel when the house was lived in by the Bishop of Argyll. The multi-purpose ballroom can either be used for dancing, as a painting studio, or as a games room with table tennis. Our Highland bar is always well-stocked with whisky and local beer and there is always a social buzz after a hard day on the hills. Free Wifi is available in some public rooms. There is also a range of board games and books.
The heated indoor swimming pool is also very popular with our guests.
Alltshellach is surrounded by extensive gardens that slope down to the shores of Loch Leven.
All holidays at our Country Houses are Full Board with all meals included, from dinner on arrival to breakfast on the day of your departure.
Start your day with our extensive breakfast. Choose from a wide selection on the cold buffet and/or a full cooked breakfast. Maybe enjoy a lighter option of fruit and yoghurt followed by scrambled egg, go for porridge followed by a full Scottish breakfast, or select something in between.
Choose from our famous self-select picnic lunches - everything you need to keep you going on a day outdoors. Your own choice of sandwiches is prepared to order, and you can add crisps and snacks, fruit, nuts, chocolate bars, sweets and biscuits as you wish.
Our house-based Leisure Activities include an in-house lunch (generally soup, sandwiches etc).
The relaxed dinner is a highlight of any stay at our Country Houses. With tables seating up to 10 and no seating plan, it offers a great opportunity to get to know your fellow guests. There is always a choice of dishes for every course, featuring good British cooking and often local specialities. A vegetarian option is always available.
All our Country Houses have a well-stocked bar serving local beers, wine and spirits.
Guided Walking: enjoy a glass of wine or local beer in the bar before a talk about the next day's walks. After dinner there will be an activity or entertainment which you will be welcome to join. These vary from week to week but could include a talk from a representative of the National Trust for Scotland or the John Muir Trust. You could relax in our lounges, have a whisky from the well-stocked bar, or you may even be entertained by a Scottish piper.
Leisure Activities: many of our Leisure Activities holidays continue into the evening with programmed sessions. Other holidays will have the evenings free, and you will be welcome to join in other social activities that may be happening in the house.
Family holidays: our activity leaders are on hand to organise children’s activities and games for younger children before dinner. These could include rounders, outdoor games, or crafts. After dinner there are further activities for the whole family.
Self-Guided Walking: there may be evening social activities happening in the house during your holiday, and you will be most welcome to join in. However, not all self-guided holidays will have evening activities available – if these are important to you, please check before booking.
Arrival & car parking facilities
- There is ample free car parking available at the house
- The surface of the car park is level, gravel in the car park with tarmac in front of the entrance
- It is possible to load and unload cars directly at the front door
- Assistance can be provided with luggage
- There are two steps at the main entrance (10cm and 6cm high)
- The front door can open double to 145cm wide
- There is a permanent wheelchair ramp into the new west wing. The width of the ramp is 135cm and it leads to a 90cm wide door. Having gained access via the ramp, all facilities are available without encountering any steps
- The floor surface is short pile carpet
- There is no lift
Public areas – hall, stairs, corridors etc
- All public areas are carpeted
- The minimum corridor width is 150cm. The main staircase is carpeted and 6ft wide
- There are eight bedrooms on the ground floor (four doubles, three twins and one twin specially adapted for wheelchair users)
Public Rooms – lounges / conservatory
- Various public rooms, all on the ground floor
- West wing lounge, which measures approximately 5m x 14m, has a variety of sofas, chairs and coffee tables. Wide doors (173cm) leading to the pool and patio. Door leading to the chapel / main lounge is 130cm wide
- The small lounge has sofas and armchairs
- Ballroom has two access doors (100cm and 148cm wide). Doors to the patio are 110cm wide
- The unisex toilet on the ground floor is next to the bar. Access is via two steps (14cm high), door width 36 inches
- Wash basin height 85cm
- There are two additional toilets (one male, one female) in the swimming pool changing rooms
Dining room & bar
- Dining room is on the ground floor with a combination of round and square tables, all 71cm high, each seating eight to ten diners
- Seats are without arms, 46cm high, with 56cm high backs
- Waitress service at all meals
- Bar area consists of two high tables and ten bar stools, two access doors, 130cm and 110cm wide
- During dinner, bar drinks and wines available to order in the dining room
- Indoor swimming pool located in the west wing, access from the west wing corridor
- Flooring is a mixture of tiled and compressed rubber
- Within the pool area, there are two alarms, first aid post, a rescue hook and a life buoy
- The size of the pool is 6 x 12m
- All the bedrooms are en-suite
- The bedrooms are a mixture of singles, twins and doubles
- All rooms are en-suite
Room 26: (designed for wheelchair users)
- On the ground floor of the west wing approx 15 m from permanent wheelchair ramp
- Two single divan beds, both 60cm high
- Available floor space beside the beds approx 3m x 4m
- Door width 95cm
- All furniture movable
- Alarm call button by bed, sounds alarm and flashing light in the corridor and outside the manager’s office
- Touch lamp bedside
- Door width 92cm. Level entry
- Bathroom area 195cm x 270cm (not incl shower area)
- Level entry shower designed for wheelchair users, 115cm sq with support rail and lowered manual shower controls. Shower chair available
- Toilet seat height 46cm, support rails on both sides
- Support rails for wash basin. Taps are lever / turn
- Pullcord alarm in the bathroom sounds an alarm and flashing light in the corridor outside the bedroom and manager’s office
Grounds and gardens
- Six steep steps leading from patio to lawn and six shallow wide steps leading from another patio to the croquet lawn
- Fire procedure is displayed in each room and explained to guests on arrival. Guests requiring assistance at an evacuation are identified at this time and door hanger cards are issued on request
- A small fridge is available for storing medication
- Good signage for fire escape routes
- One bedroom key issued per room (second key available on request)
- Assistance dogs accompanying visually or hearing impaired guests are welcome; dogs must be kept on a lead or harness at all times
- Information can be provided in large print
- Staff has had disability awareness training
Monday: Arrival day
You can check in to your room from 2.30pm onwards. Tea and coffee are available throughout the afternoon in the lounge. We invite everyone to dinner at 7.30pm. This is the first occasion when everyone meets together. After dinner we’ll introduce your leader and tell you more about your holiday.
Each morning you can enjoy a guided walk lead by an experienced HF Holidays' walks leader. In the afternoon, there will be a Yoga session. A further optional Yoga or relaxation session may be offered after dinner.
Saturday: Depart after a leisurely breakfast
What to bring
Yoga: No special clothing is required for your yoga holiday, but it is recommended that you wear loose fitting clothes to facilitate easy movement. There may be some work lying down, so you will also need to bring a non-slip Yoga mat and, if possible, a small blanket.
Walking: To enjoy your walking comfortably and safely, it is essential that your footwear, clothing and equipment are suitable for the conditions likely to be encountered. Britain is famous for its changeable weather, so our advice is to come prepared for all eventualities.
Discover the Highlands
Alltshellach is situated beside the shores of Loch Leven. This is a spectacular location with magnificent views of the surrounding mountains.
About 2 miles away, across the loch is the village of Ballachulish. Here you’ll find a post office, food store and bank. A much wider range of facilities can be found in Fort William, about 14 miles to the north.
As the adventure capital of Britain, the Lochaber region is a popular destination for all outdoor enthusiasts. During your stay in Glen Coe you may enjoy visiting the following activities and places of interest:
Jacobite Steam Train
Ride the Jacobite steam train from Fort William to Mallaig. This stunningly scenic line includes the famous Glenfinnan viaduct, featured in the Harry Potter films. Steam trains run every day and early booking is reccomended. www.westcoastrailways.co.uk/jacobite
Isle of Mull
Reached by car ferry from Oban, or Lochaline, Mull is one of the most popular Scottish islands. You could visit the colourful harbour at Tobermory or the abbey on Iona. www.calmac.co.uk/mull
Isle of Lismore
The peaceful island of Lismore is ideal for a relaxed exploration. You can hire bikes at Port Appin, about 30 minutes' drive south of Alltshellach, then take the short ferry crossing to the island.
The bustling harbour town of Oban, about 45 minutes' drive south of Alltshellach, is a popular destination. There's always plenty of activity around the harbour and its well worth the walk up to McCaig's Tower, a remarkable folly built in the style of a Roman ampitheatre, with commanding views over the town.
Eilean Donan Castle
Nearly 80 miles drive north from Alltshellach is this romantic and much photographed Scottish lochside castle. Located on a small island just offshore, the castle is isolated by the sea at high tide, only accessible via a stone bridge. www.eileandonancastle.com
Try your hand at ice climbing on the indoor wall at nearby Kinlochleven. www.ice-factor.co.uk
Travel to Glen Coe
Our address is: Alltshellach, Onich, Fort William, Invernesshire PH33 6SA
The nearest station is Fort William, however most guests travel to Glasgow then catch our transfer coach. For train times and general rail enquiries visit www.nationalrail.co.uk or call 03457 484950 (from outside the UK call +44 20 7278 5240).
Glasgow to Glen Coe transfer
We offer a coach transfer between Glasgow Buchannan bus station**, Glasgow airport and Alltshellach every Saturday. The transfer is £25 return and £15 for a single trip, but a place must be reserved in advance by calling our Reservations team on 0345 470 7558.
On arrival days our coach leaves Glasgow Buchanan Street bus station at 4.15pm, or Glasgow airport at 4.45pm. We will arrive at Alltshellach at 7pm which is in time for dinner on your first evening.
On departure day the transfer will get you back to Glasgow Airport by 11.30am and to Buchanan Street bus station by 12.00 noon.
** Buchanan Street bus station is about 15 mins walk from Glasgow central station (frequent buses are available) or 5 minutes walk from Glasgow Queen Street station.
If you are not travelling on a Saturday, the journey from either Glasgow Buchanan Street or the airport can be made using the Scottish Citylink bus, numbers 914 or 915. See www.citylink.co.uk for the timetable. Ask the driver to stop at the north side of Ballachulish Bridge - from here it is a 400 metre walk to Alltshellach.
From Glasgow take the A82 towards Crianlarich. Continue on the A82 towards Fort William. Head for Ballachulish keeping the village on your left. Go straight on at the roundabout over the steel bridge and take the second right B863 to Kinlochleven and the seafood restaurant. Alltshellach is 400 yards further on, on your right.
Travelling from overseas
Ideally book a flight to Glasgow Airport. From here you can join our coach transfer to Alltshellach (see above).
The next best option to fly to Manchester Airport, which has a better range of long-haul flights. There are trains from the airport to Glasgow (some direct, other need 1 change). Allow 4 hours to get to Glasgow, then join our coach transfer to Alltshellach. See www.nationalrail.co.uk for train times.
A member of the Independent Yoga Network, Gillian is an experienced yoga, meditation and mindfulness teacher. She runs weekly classes in Scotland and retreats in Europe. Her classes offer a combination of stretching, breathwork, relaxation and mindfulness meditation, bringing a balance to mind-body energies and the general wellbeing of her students. She teaches with a love and enthusiasm for yoga that is infectious! She shares her knowledge with empathy, care, compassion and a good smidgen of humour. Gillian believes the empowering practice of yoga allows students with any level of experience and ability to enjoy her classes.
|Date & Rating||Customer Review||HF Holidays says|
8 May 2016, 2:33 p.m.
No review provided
Good accommodation, planning, food. Well looked after.
3 May 2016, 8:43 a.m.
Excellent staff, great company, even better than I anticipated
The balance of yoga and hill walking was delightful
3 May 2016, 7:25 a.m.
Another great week with HF
Thoroughly enjoyed this beautiful HF house
26 Aug 2014, 1:16 p.m.
Leaders were exceptionally knowledgeable.
26 Aug 2014, 2:16 a.m.
As always, the accommodations and food were excellent and the staff were very friendly and quick to respond to all requests. It's hard to imagine they do this over and over again and keep on smiling!
Yoga and Walking holiday could have had more walking and less yoga.
20 Aug 2014, 5:13 p.m.
Everything was so well organised.
I enjoyed the yoga and found the teacher *Personal details removed by Feefo* to be informative and helpful. I would certainly go on one of these holidays again.
Dates & Prices
|Date||Description||Nights||Brochure price||Buy today for||Book|
|17 Apr 2017||LLKYW - Yoga & Walking - Glen Coe||5||£635.00||£590.00||Book Now|
Prices are per person
- Premium single room: £15 per night
- Premium twin/double room: £10 per person per night
- Non-member associate fee: £10 per person