Leading at Christmas
HF Holidays operates walking holidays over the festive period throughout the UK and at various locations overseas. It’s a magical time of year to be guiding walks! Twinkling Christmas trees....warming mulled wine...mince pies...Christmas carols....brisk winter walks....it’s all part of the cheer on an HF Holidays’ festive walking break. Why not become a walk leader and be part of the festive team?
About the role
Whilst leading you will be part of a team of up to five leaders who work with the House Manager to make the holiday successful and full of festive fun. Most holidays run from 23 December for seven nights with one free day when no walks are offered. Leaders are resident for the duration of the holiday and spend most of their time with our guests, from greeting them on arrival to sharing meals, guiding walks and saying goodbye at the end!
Leaders guide our pre-planned walks on five days of the holiday and help to run a variety of activities with a festive flavour in the evening.
Find out more about our festive holidays
- Experienced walker competent in the use of map & compass
- Fun loving & sociable
- A good team player
- Good interpersonal & communication skills
- Confidence, diplomacy & sociability
- Good organisational skills
- A current, 16 hour, First Aid certificate (we can help arrange & contribute to the cost)
Assessment procedure and navigation skills
Once you’ve completed an application form and it’s been accepted, you will be invited to take part in a short telephone interview and if that goes well you will be invited to attend a residential assessment course. Mountain and moorland level assessments are held in the Lake District; lowland assessments are held in Cornwall and the South Downs. The assessment will involve a range of indoor discussion sessions as well as two days outdoors doing navigation and group leadership exercises. We'll be looking at your navigation and party leadership skills as well as your all round ability to ensure our guests have an enjoyable holiday.
Any appointments offered will be subject to a satisfactory DBS check.
More information about Assessments
More information about Navigation Skills
What we offer
- Opportunity to enjoy the festive period with people who share similar interests
- Fabulous food, sociable atmosphere, friendly festive fun!
- Comfortable Full Board accommodation
- Welcoming afternoon tea every day on return from a winter walk
- Travelling allowance from home to appointment
- Generous discounts for a friend, partner or children sharing your room
- Four nights’ all inclusive accommodation to use at a later date, if no discounts taken
- Up to £85 plus VAT contribution toward First Aid qualification
- Ongoing training opportunities
UK voluntary walking leader role requirements
Abroad voluntary walking leader role requirements
If you would like to find out more about job opportunities with HF Holidays in either our Country Houses, or within our Penrith or London offices, please visit our recruitment website.