We operate walking holidays to destinations all over the world and appoint leaders for periods between 2 to 8 weeks. Our walking holiday leaders are appointed to 40 European resorts throughout the year, and around 20 of our worldwide destinations.
About the role
Whilst leading in Europe our leaders are appointed in teams of two or three and work together to make the holiday successful. On our Worldwide holidays leaders work with local guides who act as ambassadors for their local area. Most holidays run from Saturday to Saturday with a free day on a Wednesday when no walks are offered. Leaders are resident for the duration of the holiday and spend most of their time with our guests, from greeting them on arrival to sharing meals, guiding walks and saying goodbye at the end!
Leaders guide walks on five days of the holiday and help to coordinate activities in the evening to give guests a flavour of the local culture.
All transport used during the holiday is contracted locally so no driving is required.
- Experienced walker competent in the use of map & compass
- Overseas travel experience
- Working knowledge of a European language
- Good interpersonal & communication skills
- Confidence, diplomacy & sociability
- Good organisational skills
- Knowledge of the local culture and countryside
- A current, 16 hour, First Aid certificate (we can help arrange this & contribute to the cost)
Assessment procedure and navigation skills
All our overseas leaders lead with us in the UK first before progressing to lead overseas so the initial assessment process is the same as for leading in the UK.
Once you’ve completed an application form and it’s been accepted you will be invited to attend a residential assessment course. The assessment involves a range of indoor discussion sessions as well as two days outdoors doing navigation and group leadership exercises. We'll be looking at your navigation and group leadership skills as well as your all round ability to ensure our guests have an enjoyable holiday.
Initial appointments will be in the UK, and if these go well, you can attend our assessment and training course for leading our walking holidays overseas. We generally offer two courses each year.
Any appointments offered will be subject to a satisfactory DBS check.
More information about Assessments
More information about Navigation Skills
What we offer
- Half Board accommodation in our 3 or 4 star partner hotels
- Travelling expenses from home to resort
- A daily lunch allowance
- Small weekly wear and tear allowance
- Up to £130 inc VAT contribution toward First Aid qualification
- Ongoing training opportunities
Abroad voluntary walking leader role requirements
If you would like to find out more about job opportunities with HF Holidays in either our Country Houses, or within our Penrith or London offices, please visit our recruitment website.