Leading in the UK
HF Holidays operates walking holidays from 19 locations throughout the UK offering a range of walks from easy walking on the Isle of Wight to mountain walking in the Scottish Highlands.
Currently, we’re looking for leaders for our lowland, moorland and mountain walks. We’d especially like more leaders who live in Cornwall, who’d like to share their enthusiasm and knowledge of this stunning location with our guests.
About the role
Whilst leading you will be part of a team of leaders who work together to make the holiday successful. Most holidays run from Saturday to Saturday with a free day on a Wednesday when no walks are offered. Leaders are resident for the duration of the holiday and spend most time with our guests from greeting them on arrival to sharing meals, guiding walks and saying goodbye at the end!
Leaders guide walks on five days of the holiday and help to arrange a variety of activities in the evening.
- Experienced walker having done around 20 – 30 UK lowland, mountain or moorland walks in the last five years
- Competent in the use of map & compass and able to lead a walk without having walked it before
- Good interpersonal & communication skills
- Confidence, diplomacy & sociability
- An interest in and willingness to share countryside information
- A current, 16 hour, First Aid certificate (we can help arrange this and contribute to the cost)
Assessment procedure and navigation skills
Once you’ve completed an application form and it’s been accepted, you will be invited to take part in a short telephone interview and if that goes well you will be invited to attend a residential assessment course. Mountain and moorland level assessments are held in the Lake District; lowland assessments are held in Cornwall and the South Downs. The assessment will involve a range of indoor discussion sessions as well as two days outdoors doing navigation and group leadership exercises. We'll be looking at your navigation and group leadership skills as well as your all round ability to ensure our guests have an enjoyable holiday.
A shorter assessment is available of ML and WGL holders.
Any appointments offered will be subject to a satisfactory DBS check.
What we offer
In return for a minimum commitment of two weeks per year we offer:
- Full Board accommodation
- Travel expenses
- Up to £130 inc VAT contribution toward First Aid qualification
- Small weekly wear and tear allowance
- Ongoing training opportunities
- Experience for HML & ML logbooks
UK voluntary walking leader role requirements
If you would like to find out more about job opportunities with HF Holidays in either our Country Houses, or within our Penrith or London offices, please visit our recruitment website.