We're always looking for ways to give back to the community, therefore actively take part in several schemes dedicated to helping either families or the wider walking community.
Find out more about our donations and goodwill schemes below.
Pathways Fund > | Our charity of the year > | Feel Good Breaks > | Donations >
The Rotary Club >
Our Pathways Fund has, for many years, provided assisted holidays to those who could not otherwise afford one. In addition, since 1998, the fund has helped to protect and improve the countryside where HF Holidays’ guests walk. This is achieved through generous donations from HF Holidays’ members and guests. Last year alone we've awarded grants totaling over £36,000 towards these good causes.
Some recent projects have included:
- £5,000 towards work to replace a flood-hit bridge at Sedbergh in the Yorkshire Dales National Park
- £5,500 towards footpath repairs at Beech Copse at Godshill on the Isle of Wight
- £2,500 towards the purchase of a new vehicle for Buxton Mountain Rescue Team
- £2,000 for repairs to the Sligachan path over to Loch Corruisk on Skye
- £16,800 awarded to the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority for repairs to the Ingleborough Allotment footpath
- £10,000 footpath improvement works to the Coast to Coast path on Nine Standards Rigg
- £2,500 Fell Care Project in Eskdale, Lake District
- £12,000 towards the replacement of two storm-damaged footbridges in the Newlands Valley in the Lake District
- £5,000 donation to the Central Beacons Mountain Rescue Team when its headquarters was devastated by a fire
- £4,000 for new board walk at Church Stretton following a request from Stretton Area Community Wildlife Group access team
- £2,000 donation to the Hyden Lane project, part of the South Downs Way, Mend Our Way appeal.
- £4,000 donation to the Whernside (Bruntscar) Footpath Repair project.
- £20,000 donation to the Lake District Foundation towards the cost of the reconstruction of the Keswick to Threlkeld Multi user trail. This will directly impact our guests in a positive way. Since Storm Desmond in 2015, our guided walk on this route has had to be re-directed
Supporting Mind - Our Nominated Charity
In addition to our Pathways Fund, we also have a Nominated Charity that was chosen by members of our team.
We're currently supporting Mind, who offer advice and support to empower anyone experiencing a mental health problem. This great cause really resonated with our office teams. We're committed to raising money, and spreading awareness of their work.
Our Hadrian's Wall charity challenge
On 30 June 2018 a team from our Elstree and Penrith offices tackled Hadrian's Wall to raise money for Mind.
Starting from Carlisle Castle they walk, ran and cycled 100km across England following Hadrian's Wall, finishing at the Tyne Bridge in Newcastle.
It was an exceptionally hot day, but the team completed their challenge in 15 hours, 40 minutes.
See pictures from the day, or make a donation, on our Just Giving page.
Feel Good Breaks
As the UK’s largest walking and leisure activity holiday organisation, HF Holidays has a responsibility to encourage as many people as possible to engage with the great outdoors.
Having worked with the Family Holiday Association, we're delighted to have hosted to date 8 Feel Good Break at HF Holidays' UK country houses.
Feel Good Breaks are designed to reward urban families who would not otherwise afford it with the gift of a break away in the outdoors and the opportunity to discover the British countryside as a family. To date over 130 families from Rotherham, Sheffield, Oxford and Glasgow have enjoyed a weekend of guided walks.
HF Holidays supports a range of projects helping to protect our environment and improving access to the countryside for future generations to enjoy. We have always been committed to acting as a responsible operator, and community is at the heart of everything we do.
Bringing people together through memorable holidays in the UK and around the world is what we do. We recognise that action is needed to protect and preserve the destinations we visit. We want to lead the way in developing holidays that are truly sustainable.
Each year we donate to a number of organisations including Mountain Rescue teams, the Ramblers, and Air Ambulances.
Donation to The Rotary Club, Nepal
We supported a project set up by the Rotary club of Kantipur, Nepal to rebuild homes, schools and livelihoods following the 2015 earthquake.
Our donation was used to buy sewing machines for girls in rural villages who were affected by the earthquake. As part of the project they were brought to Kathmandu and given training in designing and sewing clothes; a great example of sustainable development helping a local community.