Hidden Gems of Northumberland
Long have the Scots and English fought over this land and it’s easy to see why. Wild and beautiful landscapes of sandy beaches and heather clad hills are decorated with craggy castles and grand country houses.
Stay in the colourful village of Alnmouth, a stone’s throw from a glorious sandy beach, and the perfect base from which to explore.
- Here are some local tips on what not to miss, and a sneaky peek at what are sure to be some of the highlights of any walking holiday in Northumberland:
- Take a well earned rest along the way as you walk along one of Britain’s most stunning shorelines – the cosy Ship Inn at Low Newton gives a cracking welcome to walkers and will tempt you to sample a tasty tipple of one of their home-brewed beers (chocolate beer anyone?)
- Another foodie tip – make sure you try some of the regions famous Craster kippers. You’ll walk right past their smokehouse!
- Step inside the RNLI museum at Bamburgh and learn about the fantastic heroics of local heroine Grace Darling and her famous sea rescue (free entrance to the museum, and there’s plenty of time to explore here after your walk)
- Delve into the history of Christianity and explore the spiritual home of the Lindisfarne Gospels. Take the chance to visit Lindisfarne Castle (NT members free) – make sure to read the exhibit cards! They’ll give you a giggle.
- While on the Holy Island of Lindisfarne, try some of its world famous Lindisfarne Mead (be warned – this tasty tipple is renowned as an aphrodisiac! – you’ll get a free sample if you visit the shop)
- Make sure to bring your binoculars – this unspoilt coastline is a haven for wildlife – watch out for Peregrine Falcons, Godwits, Sandpipers, Common seals, Grey seals and more. In the winter months keep your eyes peeled for some of the thousands of Brent and Pink footed geese that over-winter here
- Lastly, bring an alarm clock as you won’t want to miss the sun rising over the beach at Alnmouth (Nether Grange is only a 5 minute walk from the beach). Welcoming the day breaking on the beach here is the perfect way to start your holiday